PDA

View Full Version : Visible flap flutter, A330

kevmusic
19th Feb 2012, 17:00
Hope the good folks here can enlighten me. I had the experience of flying by Qatar on an A330 the other week. This is my first experience of commercial flying in over 30 years, and as a keen PPL, was gratified to get a window seat aft of the wing so that I could see what was going on.

Well I wasn't so alarmed as, let's say, interested, when the flaps were deployed, and the outboard corner of the starboard flap was oscillating, very rapidly, through a range of what appeared to be about 6-8 inches. I couldn't imagine that this was anything other than a normal situation, but I do wonder why it can be tolerated. Doesn't it generate wear and tear/fatigue, or something? Thanks in advance. :)

sycamore
19th Feb 2012, 19:26
Seems like a well-worn track -fitting..could you see the one on `t other side?

kevmusic
19th Feb 2012, 21:36
Alas, no. Many bods in the way.

George Richardson
20th Feb 2012, 12:20
I do hope that you report it PDQ!

PAXboy
20th Feb 2012, 12:29
When you say 'rapidly' can you give an idea of time for a full oscillation down and back?

kevmusic
20th Feb 2012, 13:19
As for the frequency, this could be wildly out, but here goes: I tried to visualise the phenomenon, and I think it works out at about five full oscillations per second. I don't know what the large 'strakes' (for want of the correct term) on the lower surface are for but where the rear part of one of these was attached to the flap it was affected also.

kevmusic
20th Feb 2012, 13:23
@ George - this is one reason I'm bringing up the subject here. I didn't have the moral courage to do it on the flight, I'm afraid :O - I just couldn't imagine that it wasn't normal. But I had my doubts.........

PAXboy
20th Feb 2012, 14:50
Whilst the fault has probably been found by now, the date and flight number with your observations about the high speed of the oscillation could be written or faxed (a phone call really won't get far as they will probably require a fair amount of explanation):

London Heathrow Airport Office
Room 6204
Departures Mezzanine
Terminal 4
Heathrow Airport
TW6 3FB

Fax: +44 0161 838 5398

Or try the Feedback side of their website but I think that will take ages to get to the technical department.