PDA

View Full Version : David Hack Classic Aircraft Meet 2012

Scottw
18th Feb 2012, 07:19
Afternoon all

just dropping a note to let all know that the 2012 David Hack Classic Aircraft Meet is approaching once again, Sunday May 6 Toowoomba Aifield.

the format for 2012 will be different in the fact that the vehicles will not be displayed on the airfield this year due to a number of factors and if is successful will most likely be the case for future events, the Rotary have informed me that regular shuttle services will be running to and from both vehicel display and airport venue during the event. And we are still encouraging aircraft to attend as we wish to build the aviation side of the David Hack Classic event to be among the regions premiere aviation events in the aviation calendar.

The planning of the 2012 event is a tad later than I would have liked but still plenty of time to get the word out that the David Hack is a go.
This year is a special one for us as the land that the current Toowoomba airfield is located has been used continuosly for aviation purposes since 1912 with the first flight when the airport land was a private property, was when Arthur "Wizard" Stone performed his barnstorming flight December 1912 and has been the site through the years to have seen a number historic flights conducted off this aifield including Qantas's and Australias first unsubsidised Regional regular RPT service between Brisbane and Toowoomba conducted during 1930.

Also at this stage planning and conducting negotiations to have two aircraft present that were both designed and one off builds here in Toowoomba on display, the Sc-1 Southern Cross (Built Toowooba Foundry)and the all composite Ossi Mossie(Buchanans toowoomba), believed to be the first all composite aircraft to be designed and built in Australia but unfortunately production runs of either aircraft never eventuated.

Will keep updating as info comes to hand

Kindest Regards

spinex
18th Feb 2012, 08:06
Hi Scott

Good to hear, I'll put that one on the calendar, there is normally an interesting selection of aircraft.

My 2c on the subject though; I'm sorry to hear that the vehicles won't be on the field, I always felt that it was a point of difference for the meet and widened the appeal, particularly where airside access is always an issue. I can't really see myself getting into the shuttle to go elsewhere and then being reliant on a shuttle to get back in time to beat the wx.....,:bored: I generally meandered amongst the vehicles in between watching aircraft movements and talking to the usual suspects.

CYHeli
1st Mar 2012, 02:39
As of yesterday permission has been granted for helicopter shuttles to also run between the two venues. So patrons will have a choice of the free bus or a helicopter ride (final price to be decided).
I'm hoping that the presence of the helicopter will inspire people at Club Glenvale looking at cars to go and have a look at the aircraft. And of what better way than arriving by air.
Rotary are very happy for us to fly between the two, so long as a suitable donantion is made at the end of the day. After all this is their main fund raiser for the year.
Col.

Scottw
24th Mar 2012, 01:38
Just an update

We will also be having trophy's presented on the day.
The catagories are(Yet to be fully Confirmed) will include but not restricted to - Best Warbird, Best Vintage, and Best Homebuilt/Light Sport Catagories.