PDA

View Full Version : EASA Licence change

V1 VR V2
16th Feb 2012, 13:46
Hi All,

I have a JAR CPL MEIR that has been issued by the HCAA in Greece as i had to convert my licence there to begin work.

I am not sure how the regulations from EASA will affect me but i am a UK resident and wanted to convert my licence back to a UK JAA licence.

My question is, is there any point in converting my licence to the UK CAA or should I just leave it if EASA is making the licences JAR complaint?

Thanks in advance for any responses

kenparry
16th Feb 2012, 14:41
You need to look at this CAA page:

Licensing and Training Standards | EASA | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?gid=2061)

which should tell you what you need to do. Note the implementation date is less than 2 months away.

V1 VR V2
9th Mar 2012, 12:17
Hi Kenparry,

thank you for the reply and i have viewed the document and also been on the phone to the UK CAA and I’m still confused about this? The UK CAA said i can either convert back to a UK JAA CPL MEIR licence or leave it as is which is a JAR CPL MEIR and it will be converted by the HCAA to an EASA licence automatically.

I am just trying to find out if i need to do anything before the deadline and if i have to pay any fees and charges for the change over before April 2012?

Just to add to the confusion the HCAA said the deadline is 2017 so have plenty of time before the change over??

If anyone is in a similar situation and has found a resolution i would appreciate your help.

Alex Whittingham
10th Mar 2012, 13:37
The deadline for changeover was originally 7th April 2012. EASA have allowed individual States to extend the transition period for compliance, I can't unfortunately remember for how long but certainly for some years. The UK CAA have not taken advantage of this option, other than to allow themselves a few months more time before they start issuing EASA licences. Most States have put the transition back by several years.

I'm not totally clear on this but, from what I can glean from the documents, if you transfer your licence to the UK's control now they will issue you with a JAR CPL ME IR, if you leave it until after the summer they will issue you with the EASA equivalent and, if you leave it under the HCAA's control it will become an EASA CPL ME IR in the fullness of time when the HCAA decide to implement the EASA rules. 2017 sounds a little far in the future, but one assumes the HCAA would know their own deadlines.

I would leave it as it is. I can't see any advantage in swapping States now.

indiana_jones
10th Mar 2012, 18:13
Dear Alex,

I finished my ATPL exams with BGS in June 2010, and they were due to be usable for a practical test until May 2013, -ie 3 years.
I am not sure whether this is still the case with the transition to EASA...

Question 27 published by the CAA on 28th February in their "frequently asked questions..." list is "I HAVE PREVIOUSLY PASSED ATPL/CPL THEORETICAL EXAMINATIONS, BUT I HAVE NOT OBTAINED THE LICENCE YET, HOW WILL THE CHANGES AFFECT ME ?"

The CAA's answer is that the position is set out in...:

AIC W 73/2011
"EU regulations for licensing come into force on 8 April 2012. From 8 April 2012 the CAA will issue EASA Part-FCL licences. Credit
can be given for training and examinations completed before that date for the issue of EASA Part-FCL licences, but examinations taken after
that date must be to the latest standard. For this reason no examinations to the old standard will be available after March 2012; (this includes
re-sits). Where an applicant for a licence or rating has completed all of the examinations for that qualification to either the new or old standard
by the end of March 2012, those examinations will be valid for the qualification; (subject to the usual calendar expiry). However, where an
applicant who is sitting exams that are not to the latest JAR standard does not pass them all before 8 April 2012, the candidate will have to
take all remaining examinations to the new standard. In this case, where the candidate has passed any of the subjects listed below to the
old standard, the candidate will have to resit and pass those subjects to the new standard as the content of those subjects has changed"

Does it mean I need to rush and pass at least a CPL flight test before next month ? Or will I still be able to pass an EASA practical test with my "old" JAA ATPL papers ?
Please note that we are several pilots in the same situation, and that we are all getting different answers from the CAA... :confused:

Thanks for your help.

schweizer2
10th Mar 2012, 18:44
indiana_jones,

Im in the same boat.

From what I understand, If you completed all exams of the old syllabus before April 8th your exam results will still count and when you complete the flight test you will simply be handed a EASA licence.

I could be completely wrong though :ugh:

Alex Whittingham
11th Mar 2012, 09:47
Yes, schweizer is right. You can take a skills test any time up to your three year point, no extra exams required. If you apply for your licence through a State that is not EASA complint you'll get a JAA CPL, if you wait until they're EASA compliant it will be an EASA CPL.

indiana_jones
11th Mar 2012, 17:36
Alex, Schweizer,
Thanks for your help and quick replies... would you by any chance happen to know whether there will be major changes in the CPL and ATPL flight tests under EASA ?
Basically, is there any advantage in taking a flight test before April versus waiting a year or so ?
Indy

schweizer2
12th Mar 2012, 09:21
Cant help you on that one, trying to find out myself but I believe a new requirement is to have completed at least 6 hours in a Multi even if the flight test is to be conducted in a single.