PDA

View Full Version : Let 410 Control Surfaces - require some info please

Bearcat F8F
16th Feb 2012, 12:04
Hi everyone,

I'm tasked with suggesting possible improvements/ alterations for the control surfaces on the Let 410 to increase a/c sustainability.

I know this is very very vague. It's a university group project so I will not be building real prototypes!

I find it rather difficult to write anything about possible improvements of the control surfaces. If it was avionics or engines it would be much easier. But I'm stuck with this I'm afraid so if any of you have any possible suggestions or even something I could discuss like possible issues/ constraints/ why you can or cannot change this or that - this can relate to anything from type of material used, to the hinges, to the cables, to surface area, dimensions and shapes, cost of production/ servicing etc. Possible alterations of the wings, fin, tail plane are also allowed to increase the a/c sustainability.

Once again, non of this has to be backed up by equations. It's more about discussing what could be done...

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

captjns
16th Feb 2012, 12:23
What do you mean by "sustainabilty"?

mad_jock
16th Feb 2012, 12:28
How about a torque tube so that at low speeds the control input directly moves the control surfaces but at high speeds it moves a servo tab which then displaces the control surface.

Bearcat F8F
16th Feb 2012, 12:48
What do you mean by "sustainabilty"?

Aircraft sustainability is:

the ability of an a/c to remain viable under current current social, economical and environmental constraints.

In other words the a/c has to be competitive by addressing the 3 things above.

An example would be: taking out old steam gauges and replacing them with a glass cockpit with integrated systems etc. I will not list all the benefits. I'm sure you get what I mean. Obviously with avionics its easy. But with control surfaces there is only so much I can think of...

How about a torque tube so that at low speeds the control input directly moves the control surfaces but at high speeds it moves a servo tab which then displaces the control surface.
Sounds very interesting. Could you please elaborate a little bit on that if you can so I can describe the system in a little more detail. And what benefits it would have etc. Thanks again.

mad_jock
16th Feb 2012, 13:09
Its basically just tube with a rod running down the middle.

When the moment is applied at the bottom depending how much reaction to the moment means the out tube will rotate or the inner rod will rotate. One of them is attached to the control surface directly the other one is attached to the servo tab.

As for the rest of it its your project mate :D

But for the LET and your critria you will basically be polishing a turd.

Its a slow **** hauler which is suited to rough short strips. Its pro's are more linked about how cheap it is and how robust it is.

Bearcat F8F
16th Feb 2012, 13:39
Its basically just tube with a rod running down the middle.

When the moment is applied at the bottom depending how much reaction to the moment means the out tube will rotate or the inner rod will rotate. One of them is attached to the control surface directly the other one is attached to the servo tab.
Thanks.

Its a slow **** hauler
That's subjective.

which is suited to rough short strips. Its pro's are more linked about how cheap it is and how robust it is.
That's important.

mad_jock
16th Feb 2012, 13:55
How about trying to find out how much damage the plane gets while operating off different types of strips.

See if they have problems with skin damage etc. Would a deflector on the gear stop damage to the flaps.

Bearcat F8F
16th Feb 2012, 14:02
How about trying to find out how much damage the plane gets while operating off different types of strips.

See if they have problems with skin damage etc. Would a deflector on the gear stop damage to the flaps.
That's a great idea, I will try to search about that.

The thing is though, information regarding this plane in terms of specific aircraft structure and materials used seems to be so limited. I've tried a dozen different google searches to find out the materials used during manufacture and so far the only thing I got is that there is some use of "fire-resistant" materials... grrrr.... :{ Don't think the university library will have a book called the "Let 410" either.

There were a few interesting topics on pprune about a comparison of the Let 410 to the DHC-6 which was very useful but mostly all to do with performance, very little in terms of structure and design.

mad_jock
16th Feb 2012, 14:21
Van air fly them for Manx2

And also Benair operate them.

I susppose you could see if they would help but don't get your hopes up.

Bearcat F8F
16th Feb 2012, 16:33
Thanks, I'll check it out!

hallger
16th Mar 2014, 17:34
Are you by any chance from Glasgow University?