PDA

View Full Version : Cessna C310R

Stationair8
16th Feb 2012, 04:48
Who owned or operated the first C310R in Australia?

Aye Ess
16th Feb 2012, 07:32
Good old Stationair. Always knows how to get an interesting thread started. Where have you been? Haven't heard from you for a long time.....now back to the thread.

I flew bank runs out of Sydney for Purcells Air Service in three brand new C310R. That was in 1979. Flight Facilities had one on their line as did Hazeltons,so I guess it must be mid 70s although I can't remember seeing any prior to 1979. But then I can't remember where I put the TV remote 5 minutes ago.

Jabawocky
16th Feb 2012, 08:45
If you find your paint brush you could paint one of them.:ok:

TBM-Legend
16th Feb 2012, 10:52
VH-PPI was in TVL around 1978 with Rundle Air Service.

Capt.Grumpy
16th Feb 2012, 12:12
I flew bank runs out of Sydney for Purcells Air Service in three brand new C310R. That was in 1979.

As did I........who are you ??? pm me if you like ?

Aye Ess
16th Feb 2012, 18:26
You want me to contact someone called 'Captain GRUMPY' ???

OK,I be Alan Spears. And who might you be? (Although I can guess ;) )

megle2
16th Feb 2012, 20:11
Hey, they are all regarded as "late" models.
We need to go back another 10 years to the odd looking ones
Call signs escape me

mendi63
16th Feb 2012, 20:46
Col Pay purchased Cessna 310R, VH-PAS new in 1977.

megle2
17th Feb 2012, 04:23
Remembered a couple
VH ACB used to be at Archerfield, would be a very early sixties model
Think it might have been used for aerial surveys

VH CAZ same vintage, probably DCA going by rego

Pilotette
17th Feb 2012, 06:03
Not directly relevant to the thread but might be of some interest...I came across this a little while back and wondered what possssed the "pilots" to do it?!Cessna 310R, VH-UQR, 20 km South of Busselton WA, 30 October 1988 Summary: An unidentified aircraft was heard to depart Kalgoorlie at approximately 0430 hours, and VH-UQR was subsequently reported to have been stolen. Some four hours later the aircraft was sighted, flying at low level, by a number of witnesses in the Margaret River area. The engines were reported to be not operating normally. The aicraft then disappeared from sight behind trees and was heard to crash. The wreckage was located in a heavily wooded area. An inspection of the site indicated that the aircraft had collided with the ground following a high speed descent at an angle in excess of 30 degrees. Neither engine was producing power at the time of impact. The investigation indicated that the fuel supply had been exhausted at the time of the accident. Although the aircraft was almost totally destroyed there was no evidence that aircraft components or systems contributed to the accident. Neither pilot was qualified to fly, or had any known flying experience, on the Cessna 310 or any other multi-engine aircraft type. The factors leading to the theft of the aircraft were not established.

Wally Mk2
17th Feb 2012, 06:25
I recall that event 'pilotett'.Crazy that's for sure!!
Would liked to have flown an R model only flew it's older cousin, the Q, the very first one actually without the Omni rear window:-).Ex Hazzo's ship, went like stink!:-)

Whilst we are drifting here:) there was an AC50 that was stolen from TW I think some years ago & it flew into the hills around Coonabarabran (hope that spelling is close)as it was stolen & was used as a tool to commit suicide I believe.

Wmk2

Spinnerhead
17th Feb 2012, 22:11
The factors leading to the theft of the aircraft were not established.

I knew those guys, and the curcumstances leading up to it. I think they thought it a "good idea at the time". Pretty sad actually.

I wish
18th Feb 2012, 06:00
I was slightly involved in the reason too, yep, a sad waste.