PDA

View Full Version : Fairey Swordfish

Stationair8
16th Feb 2012, 04:29
Did the Fairey Swordfish have a fixed pitch or a constant speed propeller?

Everyone happy now?

Fark'n'ell
16th Feb 2012, 04:46
Three bladed fixed pitch.

Wander00
16th Feb 2012, 16:07
Surely no-one could make a longer thread out of this one....but I'll wait and see.....

Fareastdriver
16th Feb 2012, 16:15
Sordfish isn't spelt right.

Lightning Mate
16th Feb 2012, 18:18
Surely no-one could make a longer thread out of this one....but I'll wait and see.....

Sordfish isn't spelt right.

....but he's an Aussie mate..........

spelt right.

Do you mean correctly?

Next post........................................................ ......

4Greens
16th Feb 2012, 20:47
Why were seaplanes, with all the drag of floats, the fastest planes in their time? Think Schneider trophy.

3 Point
16th Feb 2012, 20:55
Think about fixed pitch props and the need for a very coarse pitch to achieve high cruise speeds, how well would that work at slow speed such as on take off? Given the limited thrust available from such an inefficient prop at slow speed how long a take off roll would be required for such an aeroplane? Where would one find a sufficiently long and flat take off surface on land?

You don't see many seaplane racers after they invented VP props!

Happy landings

3 Point

oxenos
16th Feb 2012, 22:42
The rules of the Schneider cup specified that it was for seaplanes / flying boats, and was a speed competition.
Because it became so prestigious, countries put a lot of effort into producing fast waterborne aircraft in order to meet the rules,hence the seaplane racers.
Had the competition been for landplanes they would no doubt have produced landplane racers, which would possibly have been even faster.
Since, as sea planes, they had an awful lot of oggin for a take - off run, the biggest problem with fixed (coarse) pitch propellors was probably that of keeping straight.
As regards the Swordfish, the difference between take off speed and cruising speed was not that great (think large Tiger Moth), so a fixed pitch prop would work well enough.

Fark'n'ell
17th Feb 2012, 05:14
Given the limited thrust available from such an inefficient prop at slow speed how long a take off roll would be required for such an aeroplane? Where would one find a sufficiently long and flat take off surface on land?

Australia?;)

SincoTC
17th Feb 2012, 05:45
Australia?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

:D and there'd be no trees in the way either!

Next post........................................................ ...

India Four Two
17th Feb 2012, 07:53
the biggest problem with fixed (coarse) pitch propellors was probably that of keeping straight

A friend of mine recently sent me a contemporary article about the development of the Supermarine S5 and S6. Full of very interesting facts and anecdotes. I'll try to post a link.

Pertinent to this thread, was that the torque during takeoff was so high that it tended to bury one of the floats. To try to compensate for this, one float was made bigger than the other!

Slight thread drift, but during development of the R engine, at one point, it was consuming 120 gallons of OIL per hour. :eek:

Genghis the Engineer
17th Feb 2012, 07:58
....but he's an Aussie mate..........

Do you mean correctly?

Next post........................................................ ......

And it's "spelled", "spelt" being a form of wheat.

G

SincoTC
17th Feb 2012, 10:15

Sorry for the thread drift, but just responding to the previous post and helping to confound Wander00

I agree with Ghengis, but as English is a steadily evolving language, things do change (not always for the better). This is the consensus on the Web (so it must be true :))

In American and Canadian English, spelt means exclusively a hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe, and the verb spell makes spelled in its past-tense and past-participial forms. In varieties of English from outside North America, spelt and spelled both work as past-tense and past-participial forms of spell. They are interchangeable, and both are in common use.

British and Australian writers apparently make no distinction between spelled and spelt, using them as both past participles and past-tense forms of spell.

Next Post (preferably back on thread)................................

Lightning Mate
17th Feb 2012, 10:39
the biggest problem with fixed (coarse) pitch propellors was probably that of keeping straight.

Propellor is spelt propeller. :E

There was also the problem of blade stall if the rpm was too high during the initial take-off run, so reduced rpm was used initially.

Thread still going.................next please.......

pasir
17th Feb 2012, 11:28
Although the following has been told previously there may be some who missed it.

In the memoirs of a retired airforce officer he tells a true story whereby the stations Walrus air/sea rescue a/c had come back from its RAF equivilant of annual C of A - but with very poor performance - barely able to clear the boundary hedge on take off etc. Despite numerous investigations and adjustments up to senior engineering officer heights the mighty and exalted had got no where ! Then stepped forward Paddy - a lowly AC-nil who's inability to hold down any worthwhile duty had relegated him to being placed airman in charge of hanger floor sweeping.
To the senior engineering officer he stepped forward and said
"I think I know whats wrong Sir - The propeller is on 'back to front." !

Perhaps some one will recognise the book and its author.

Wander00
17th Feb 2012, 11:39
Well, what do I know - as my wife requently tells me!

oxenos
17th Feb 2012, 11:56
" Propeller can also be spelled propellor: both are correct, but propeller is much more common."

Quote - Oxford Dictionaries.

Who would wish to be thought common?

Lightning Mate
17th Feb 2012, 16:23
Who would wish to be thought common?

Lightning pilots certainly would not........a rare breed.......

NutherA2
17th Feb 2012, 19:16
Propellor is spelt propeller.

Should it not be spelt/spelled AIRSCREW?:E

oxenos
17th Feb 2012, 22:15
I think that got dropped in about 1940 after confusion between AIRSCREW and AIRCREWS

Lightning Mate
20th Feb 2012, 09:45
Airscrew is sumfin' to do with the mile high club innit!

bcgallacher
20th Feb 2012, 11:10
I have seen this done with a Chipmunk - the Fairey Reed prop and hub assembly will fit either way.I was a student at the time and noticed it before the professionals! Fortunately before anyone tried to fly it. It would have produced noise but much reduced thrust.

Lancman
20th Feb 2012, 14:00
Going back to 4Green's question, a lot of parasite drag was eliminated by discarding a conventional radiator and using the entire fuselage skin as a flush radiator.

Hipper
20th Feb 2012, 18:23
I just repeated what someone else said so I edited it!