PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Northern Germany and Denmark, any suggestions?

jkveenstra
15th Feb 2012, 18:27
Next week i'm planning a trip from Eindhoven to Hamburg and onwards to Denmark. I was planning to visit a friend near Lemvig (EKLV). Unfortunately he had to cancel our meeting. Now I'm looking for a new destination in (northern) Germany or Denmark. I found this thread: http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/414847-denmark-airfields.html

Most of the time people mention airfields at small islands in the thread, which are (probably) not that attractive this time of year.

Do you have a suggestion, preferably in the vicinity of a larger city (I need accommodation as well)?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Pilot DAR
15th Feb 2012, 19:41
Bremerhaven is an excellent choice in Northern Germany. It's a nice town, with many attractions, including a number of excellent museums. The airport is close enough that you can walk if you're up for it. It is the base for AWI's Polar 5 research BT-67 Turbine DC-3's.

Immortal
15th Feb 2012, 20:02
+1 for Bremerhaven. Request runway 07 for departure if possible, very interesting departure.

jkveenstra
15th Feb 2012, 20:39
Thank you for the tip.

Jim59
15th Feb 2012, 22:41
Flensburg - about as far North in Germany as you can get without being in Denmark is friendly and the airfield is close to the town. I agree that arriving at Bremerhaven on 25 (from Flensburg) was interesting!

pmh1234
16th Feb 2012, 08:10
Hamburg go and visit Reeperbahn....:D
eddh.de - Willkommen! (http://www.eddh.de)

In Denmark the islands are not so much fun now as you have figured out.
You could visit Sønderborg, the airfield there is close to the town and not so far from Germany.
Odense is also nice, but the airport is a bit of a distance from the town.
Take a look at Airfields and Aerodromes (http://www.airfields.dk)

17th Feb 2012, 15:53
On some Jeppesen VAC (e.g. EDLD) there is a small "(ge)"
For instance
DINSLAKEN INFO 122.70 (ge)

Does it mean "you may speak German" or "you must speak German"?

I've checked the AIP:
"3. Language
(1) Voice communication in the aeronautical mobile service shall be conducted in the English language. (GOOD!)
The German language may only be used:
(GOOD: may not must)
1. On VFR flights and for taxiing traffic on frequencies designated for voice communication in the German language,
or
2. if the receiving person is not familiar with the English language.

(2) In special cases the Federal Supervisory Authority for Air Navigation Services (BAF) can permit the performance of radiotelephony communication in the German and English languages on the radio frequencies especially assigned, if public safety and order, especially the safety of air traffic, is not impaired thereby. The necessary details will be published by the BAF in the „Nachrichten für Luftfahrer“.
3) Radiotelephony communication in the aeronautical mobile service on radio frequencies of aeronautical ground stations not operated by air navigation services organisations is performed in the German language. It may be performed in the English language, provided that corresponding radio frequencies have been assigned.
BAD?: "not operated by air navigation services organisations": does it mean AFIS?

May I speak English if I visit EDLD?
EDIT: I've been through several VACs, and I'm afraid the answer is
(ge): must speak German (EDLD)
(ge, en): may speak German, may speak English (EDWB Bremerhaven)

Rory Dixon
17th Feb 2012, 17:51
you pretty much got it right.
You may use English pretty much in the entire German airspace (and in some instances you have to use English), except at uncontrolled airfields not explicitly stating the use of English (en).
aeronautical ground stations not operated by air navigation services organisation As a general rule, these are all airports without control zone.

Rory Dixon
17th Feb 2012, 18:02
Another suggestion would be Kiel (EDHK), the aproach to 26 is very nice.
Or if you would prefer a trip further east, Strausberg (EDAY) is a great choice. A 5 min walk will bring you to the S-Bahn (a commuter train), and a €3 ride will drop you off in the center of Berlin with tons of museums, hotels, hostels, and fun.

jkveenstra
17th Feb 2012, 20:09
Thanks for your suggestion. We decided to go to Bremerhaven or Bremen.

For a next trip to Denmark I will consider the other airfields.

Thanks alot! :ok:

Pilot DAR
17th Feb 2012, 23:04
If you're going to Bremen, there is a small but interesting museum upstairs in the terminal. It's worth the stop. The Atlantic hotel is right at the terminal. Tram #6 will take you downtown from the terminal. There is an old town area which is delightful. 15 minute trip.

As you fly up the river from Bremen to Bremerhaven, you overfly a WW2 submarine bunker: Information Portal to European Sites of Remembrance (http://www.memorialmuseums.org/eng/denkmaeler/view/27/Denkort-Bunker-Valentin)

Do not low fly that area in poor visibilty - lots of wind turbines near Bremerhaven!

If you stay in Bremerhaven for a few days, it's worth a trip to the air museum in Nordholz. It's a 40 minute drive The Virtual Aviation Museum - Deutsches Luftschiff- und Marinefliegermuseum - Aeronauticum (http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/imh/dnm.htm) It has displays which focus on airships, as Nordholz was a WW1 airship base, and the museum is in a part of one of the old buildings I believe.

Bremerhaven has an excellent marine museum downtown, and many ships on display, including a submarine, through which you can tour at certain times. There are vessels there about 1000 years old. There's also the climate house, an emmigration museum, and a facinating history museum.

I will be there from March 02 through to March 16, and can arrange a tour through the Alfred Wegener Institute Basler BT-67 turbine DC-3Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) Aircraft New (http://www.awi.de/en/infrastructure/aircraft/research_aircraft/) if it's in that day.

Feel free to PM me.

The fuel pumps are right in front of the AWI hanger, so you can;t miss it in any case. Yes, runway 07/25 is interesting, so make sure you need that runway before you commit to it.

It is expected that Bremerhaven airport will close within the next few years, to make land available for the expansion of a wind turbine manufacturer nearby. That will be a real shame. It is an excellent jumping off point for Helgoland, and the base for the OLT Islander which flies this route daily.

18th Feb 2012, 09:49
Thank you Rory.
Would you suggest a general aviation friendly English speaking Airfield in Germany not to far from Belgium?
I fly from the east side of Belgium (EBSG)

Rory Dixon
18th Feb 2012, 11:15
not my primary region, but how about Ganderkesee (EDWQ). They also have a service for Citations there. It has a number of positive reports on a German GA website (http://www.eddh.de/info/landeinfo.html).

18th Feb 2012, 13:44
Thanks a lot. About my name 172510: 172 the aircraft I fly, 510 the aircraft I would like to fly one day...