PDA

View Full Version : Lossie to get new role?!

Al R
14th Feb 2012, 11:23
BBC News - Scotland battles Sweden to get European spaceport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9694766.stm)

RAF Lossiemouth, the largest and busiest fast-jet base in the Royal Air Force, is seen as the leading site for any space tourism in the UK

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Feb 2012, 11:31
You wouldn't even need to launch a Scotsman in the spacecraft. Just give him the bill for the ticket and stand well back.;)

P6 Driver
14th Feb 2012, 12:21
New role = Army barracks?

Milo Minderbinder
14th Feb 2012, 15:06
Surely, IF the UK gets a spaceport it'll be Machrahanish, simply due to the runway length? Lots of room to make a one-chance glider landing on if things go wrong

aw ditor
14th Feb 2012, 15:11
Time for Wee Eck' to jump on the bandwagon?

diginagain
14th Feb 2012, 15:45
Time for 'Wee Eck' to be shot into space; which, if his father had been a little quicker.........................

Easy Street
14th Feb 2012, 15:49
Milo,

Macrihanish's runway is only 1000ft longer than Lossie's. Also, given that Lossie's weather factor is many times better than Macrihanish's (due to its location in the 'Moray Bowl') I think I would prefer Lossie as a landing site.

Scotland could become the ultimate in playgrounds for rich men in mid-life crisis: shoot some deer, play some exquisite links golf, sip some vintage whisky and blast into space to round off the weekend!

fantom
14th Feb 2012, 15:53
Excellent.

Shove the grinning toad AS into a dustbin and launch him.

Can't wait.

giblets
14th Feb 2012, 16:23
If you believe all the rumours, Macrihanish is already used as a spaceport!

Milo Minderbinder
14th Feb 2012, 17:11
Exactly!
And it was earmarked as a Shuttle landing site...

Ogre
15th Feb 2012, 01:04
I did smirk at the comment from the bloke from the UK space Agency,

""One of the reasons that places like Lossiemouth have been mooted as possible launch sites is because it is relatively far away from centres of population," says Jeremy Curtis, of the UK Space Agency"

I'm sure the folk of Lossie village, Elgin, Forres, Burghead and all the little places in between would have something to say about that.

Harley Quinn
15th Feb 2012, 04:48
He probably meant to say 'far away from important centres of population' :E

(For the sensitive amongst you that was meant to be a joke and play on words- I think it's funny anyway)