PDA

View Full Version : Why IR so expensive when 30hrs are on a sim?

Burtoni
13th Feb 2012, 19:56
Why is IR so expensive when 30hrs are on a sim?..

Seems schools now offer 15 hrs in the air and 30 hrs on the sim and still charge over 12k..??

Even if the sim cost as much as an aircraft.. which I'm sure it doesn't.. you still don't have to put fuel in it, or pay landing fees. Plus schools must be able to use them back to back with no down time for weather or wasted time re-fueling, taxi'ing, walk rounds, checks, etc...

I mean.. come on.. give us a break!!:{

Dan the weegie
13th Feb 2012, 20:26
Because the owners are driving around in big Porsches and have expensive cocaine and prostitute habits.

Or

£400 an hour for the plane

£120 an hour for the sim ( a new one costs about 150k and they cost a fair bit to keep running as they need to be quality checked every 3 months by an expensive external contractor.

£35 - £45 per hour for the instructor, which is a crazy tiny amount for a skilled worker, as an IT guy with relatively little skill I could bill cheap at £350 a day and the very best a really good IR instructor will get is about £150-£200

Finally, there's all the things you don't pay for like briefings, remedial instruction on attitude flying, teaching you what an NDB is and how to fly an ADF needle.

Quit whining, it's expensive, get over it :).

Burtoni
13th Feb 2012, 21:25
I opt for your first response coupled with a bootleg of MS Flight sim and a cheap joystick from PC World..

Open for business!! :ok:

The big question is which Porsche?

truckflyer
13th Feb 2012, 21:40
You are not just paying for the sim, but also the instructor!

Transsonic2000
14th Feb 2012, 22:34
In Poland you can do your IR for half the money. Just check out the following link: http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/466651-jaa-ir-poland.html#post6757625