PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions about Emirates.

lballina
13th Feb 2012, 19:38
Hello everyone.

I am on the shortlist for March interviews. I have 1 question and 1 concern which many of you might help answering and I would appreciate the help.

1. I have seen in several places and heard from rumors that the technical test is based on the JAA ATPL. How true is that? If not, what's the best study guide?.

2. I have also heard that once you pass the preselection program and start your training, you are not allowed to take your wife to live with you until the first 6 months of training have passed. Is that true?. Married no children.

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.

White Knight
13th Feb 2012, 22:01
6 months of training

Wow - six months???????? Of training????????

Seriously though - training is not that long, and your wife and family can join you as soon as YOU complete the visa process for them. Generally very quick and easy... (Compared to other 'settling in DXB' things).

lballina
13th Feb 2012, 23:23
Thanks for the info!.
Does someone know about the tech exam if it is about the JAA ATPL?

Thanks.

Aerodmb
13th Feb 2012, 23:35
How long after short list email did you get an email for starting the assessment?

lballina
14th Feb 2012, 06:38
About 6 weeks... more or less.

lospilotos
14th Feb 2012, 08:36
I cannot recall any question that was JAA specific, they were more general in terms of aviation knowledge.

As for family joining, they can absolutely come with you from day 1. All the people at Emirates are suggesting is that you donīt as it could affect your abilities of concentrating on the course. You might (will) be sent somewhere else for the sim so then you would leave your family in a new country with all the hassle that comes with that, while you are sat in a hotel across the world worrying about that. So, with that in mind, you can but you probably shouldnīt.

If they join from day 1 it will be on a tourist visa for them, so they need to leave the country and come back again to enter on the permanent visa. Basically just drive across the border to Oman or something like that.

Myself, I have not joined yet, but I will soon and I will not bring the family until Iīm finished. I do believe what I have written above is correct though.

lballina
15th Feb 2012, 08:15
Thank you so much, it is very valuable information!.
Good luck to you!. We might see each other soon hopefully!... Let's do more than our best!
Regards!

BongleBear
15th Feb 2012, 14:30
on the atpl questions, you have nothing to worry about, i was worried about that part too so i studied the 'how to ace...' book. it was useless! most of the questions were things we do on a day to day basis as commercial pilots. bit of met, a lot of instrument flying. i cant remember, and wouldnt want to put on here, any specifics sorry.

good luck
b bear