PDA

View Full Version : A109 Type rating and hire (with safety pilot) UK

Aucky
13th Feb 2012, 18:29
Hi All, i'm interested in finding a UK based A109 to do a type rating on, followed by approx 40-50hrs hire for aerial work on type over a 2 week period with a safety pilot to help gain experience on type, and to satisfy insurance and operational requirements. If anyone may be able to offer assistance with this please PM me.
(CPL, 900TT)

Thanks

flight beyond sight
14th Feb 2012, 07:10
I believe that helicopter services at high wycombe can help give them a ring.

Pandalet
14th Feb 2012, 08:24
Sloane operate 109s, I believe.

Savoia
14th Feb 2012, 08:50
Castle Air
Rotormotion
Eastern Atlantic
Interceptor
others ..

Aucky
14th Feb 2012, 09:59
Thanks for the suggestions, I have contacted a few and hope to hear from them soon.

Aucky

VeeAny
14th Feb 2012, 18:41
Sloane, Helicopter Services, Castle Air and LHC have the approval to do the type rating courses.

LHC cannot do it as we do not have a 109, other than the one we own in the group which is for sale.

Any of the others will give you good, if not excellent type rating training.

You are most likely to be able to hire with safety pilot from Helicopter Services or Castle Air.

The other companies mentioned above in other posts might be able to provide aircraft but do not hold training approvals themselves,but it does not mean a deal cannot be done.

clayshooter
14th Feb 2012, 21:04
You do not mention which model of A109 you wish to be type rated on, this will affect price and future hire. It will be cheaper to train on and hire an older model (A109A, AII or C model) and you may have to source the aircraft and pilot separately as most companies at present do not have spare pilots that will be available to go away for a length of time. You will also have to consider performance requirements when choosing the model of 109 you wish to employ as the older ones are a little short of breath, particularly on one engine.

Aucky
15th Feb 2012, 12:07
Thanks VeeAny & clay shooter - Indeed I have made progress via PM, I will be needing a 109E Power at minimum to suit the job with respect to fuel endurance and single-engine performance. A few people have kindly offered themselves for the safety pilot role, for which i'm thankful, but I think it is more likely that I will find a willing lessor if they have a company employed safety pilot in one seat, and this is seemingly possible, as they are renting an aircraft with a paid pilot for 40+ hrs over 2 weeks, most companies and pilots are happy to accommodate this. The greater difficulty lies with finding one who is prepared to allow me with my 900hrs, to act as P1, on a filming job over water, with themselves in the safety pilot role, but thankfully this is not impossible as some are understanding having been in a similar predicament earlier in their careers :ok:

Thanks again for the PM's and info on here.

nigelh
15th Feb 2012, 14:06
I dont think any instructor is going to worry at all at you being P1 over water .......if it all starting going tits up they would become P1 pretty quick i can promise you :ok:

Aucky
15th Feb 2012, 16:13
Nigel - Couldn't agree more, and I would welcome that :} but I believe it's more about the individual insurance requirements for being P1 on a commercial job.

nigelh
17th Feb 2012, 15:13
I dont see insurance would be an issue . My helicopters have all been insured for any pilot with my permission and the 1000 hrs i stipulated to get a discount . Good luck and hope it all works out well for you :ok: