PDA

View Full Version : Airline pilots & private flying

Sexual Chocolate
13th Feb 2012, 07:33
Ladies & Gentleman,

Does anyone know how much private flying CASA allow you to do when you work for an airline? Also, is there anyone who's been through the approval process and knows what is involved?

I was going to call CASA and ask them, but I figured it would be quicker and more accurate to ask to good people on here.

Thanks so much
SC

chimbu warrior
13th Feb 2012, 07:44
I think you will find it is more a matter for the employer. Some may be prepared to allow it up to a set limit, others may prohibit it.

Asking CASA is unwise as they don't seem keen to allow their own staff to undertake private flying, hence their cluelessness on GA.

rmcdonal
13th Feb 2012, 10:11
Casa don't care how much you private flying you do outside of your airline job as long as you don't exceed the CAO limitations for flight times.
Your airline however probably has a section in their FAM that says something along the lines of 'you must have permission to fly outside of the company as we own your 900hr a year limit'.
Exceptions to the 900hr rule are available however the request has to come from the company rather than from the pilot, or Casa tends not to grant them.
Most airlines seem to allow a basic figure like 10hrs or so a year without to much hassle but any more will require some bargaining with the boss, particularly if you are sailing close to the 900hr mark.

Tankengine
13th Feb 2012, 10:31
900hrs applies to commercial ops, 1000hrs private - 100hrs left.:)

Qantas requires approval from them but then allows 100hrs per year/10hrs per month.:ok:

Hour and duty limits must of course be adhered to.:=

Jack Ranga
13th Feb 2012, 10:36
Hour and duty limits must of course be adhered to

mmm, I'm sure everybody does :cool:

Fondair
13th Feb 2012, 10:38
900hrs applies to commercial ops, 1000hrs private - 100hrs left

Can you make a reference to this reg, never seen it before.