PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 340 Heathrow incident 10/2

WASPERNATOR
12th Feb 2012, 22:17
I was passing Heathrow on Friday 10th Feb and saw a Virgin A340 take-off towards Hatton Cross - Eastbound, it turned towards Sunbury/Staines, climbing normally. I was driving but watched it for a while, the landing gear didn't retract. Anyone know what happened?

PT6A
12th Feb 2012, 23:01
Could be as simple as for cooling purposes...l extended taxi heavy weight...

Leave the gear down after T/O for a few mins then bring it up.

SFCC
13th Feb 2012, 00:23
Quite so. Why would this ever be described as an 'incident'?:ugh:

PAXboy
13th Feb 2012, 02:22
Had this once on a BA 742, when leaving a hot destination. Routine.

Evanelpus
13th Feb 2012, 08:49
Not a bad way to open your PPRuNe account there Wasp!

Had this once on a BA 742, when leaving a hot destination. Routine.

Probably not the case on Saturday though Paxboy lol;)

PAXboy
13th Feb 2012, 09:39
True, Evanelpus, I was just trying to reassure the OP (It was MBJ!)

WASPERNATOR
13th Feb 2012, 12:03
Sorry chaps - my mate who has a mate at VS says this aircraft had a hydraulic problem - it flew around for 20 mins until they sorted it.

AN INCIDENT I reckon?

TurboTomato
13th Feb 2012, 13:48
Every 7700 seems to be an 'incident' on here now. Sometimes FR24 can be a right pain in the arse :ugh:

Flightmech
13th Feb 2012, 14:02
Yeah Wasp, my dogs brothers friend knows a cat who has an owner who works there too and he confirmed the same:E

WASPERNATOR
13th Feb 2012, 16:56
Sorry boys, I think my info is accurate. Are you always this hostile to newbies?

As for your 'it's normal for long taxi/heavy take-offs, it was about zero degrees last Friday at Heathrow. What do airbus pilots do in hot/high conditions?

jamesferns
13th Feb 2012, 17:21
Could not have been much of a hydraulic problem if it was sorted in flight from the cockpit.

PT6A
13th Feb 2012, 17:45
What do we do in hot and high conditions? Exactly as I described above.

On the day in question was the runways etc contaminated?

If so check the adverse weather section...

There was no incident, no Virgin Aircraft had an air turnback or any other problem that day (yes I did check)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Feb 2012, 21:10
Waaaay back when I was a young Heathrow controller, an Airbus took off and I noticed the gear still down as it turned left on the SID. I said something quite stupid like "Your gear is still down". To which the pilot replied: "Affirmative, we use it for zee take off".

Leaving gear down for a while after take-off is a non-event.

ZOOKER
13th Feb 2012, 21:49
Leaving gear up for a while after landing, now that might be an incident.

Nervous SLF
14th Feb 2012, 01:13
@ Wasp "Are you always this hostile to newbies?" Yes I am sorry to say sometimes newbies are treated like you have just been.
I think it might be a test to see if you are strong and stay, or are weak and just leave. At least you were not called a "troll"
like someone I know was :)

Scott C
14th Feb 2012, 01:42
Waspernator...If you stick around long enough you'll know who to ignore and who to listen to.

Some people are only on here to cause grief, bitch and moan, so let them get on with it.

I've been a member on PPRuNe for quite a while, but don't post much as you can pretty much guarantee you'll get some smart arse try and have a pop when you do post...these people have a name - 'Sky Gods'...or so they like to think...

However, on the plus side, there are some great people on here that are willing to help and offer advice.

Regarding your original post, I have friends who work in various Airlines around the world and leaving the landing gear down for a while after take-off seems like an everyday thing. Although, another reason could be hydraulic issues as you later mentioned.

BobbyHowie
14th Feb 2012, 13:35
Well said Scott.

Strange, I've watched many aircraft take-off and never noticed them keep their gear down. Must pay more attention!

Dave Gittins
14th Feb 2012, 13:44
About 3 years ago at Denver in mid summer I was SLF on a TED A 320 on a quik turn-around to Las Vegas and after a pretty loooong taxi we had to sit for 10 or 15 mins whilst - as the flight deck put it - we waited for the brakes to cool enough for the take off, in case we need em in a hurry.

Didn't notice but they were probably hung down for the first few miles after that departure

misd-agin
14th Feb 2012, 13:57
Leaving gear down after takeoff is not normal ops but doens't necessarily indicate a problem either.

MEL's can require leaving gear extended after takeoff for a couple of minutes.

A300Man
18th Feb 2012, 10:03
I was on a BA A319 from LHR to GLA years ago. Whilst tracking North, somewhere over Birmingham or Manchester, the flightdeck did a PA to warn us that the flight was going to get a bit bumpier and noisier because they were going to lower the landing gear for fifteen minutes to cool the wheels down. Literally. More drag?

And they did!

Not sure why only that late after take-off and not immediately after departure. There could be a million reasons, I guess.

Double Hydco
18th Feb 2012, 11:43
Depending on the bashing the brakes get taxying out, the temperatures can continue to rise once the gear is up.

Our Airbuses have brake fans fitted, but they're only for use on the ground. Once the brake temperatures reach 300 degrees, we get a caution light on the flight deck which tells us to drop the gear for cooling (below a certain altitude).

If you manage the brake temperatures on the ground then this shouldn't happen, but it's not unheard of.

DH

Colonel Klink
18th Feb 2012, 12:50
The 767 I used to fly required the gear to be left down after takeoff if there was a capped brake, as there was nothing to stop it spinning while being retracted. This is quite normal although may have involved a weight restriction due to the gear drag if an engine failed. I don't know if this explains it as it sounds more like a brake cooling problem, but it might!!

tom775257
20th Feb 2012, 09:19
I have kept the gear down a few times on the A320 to cool the gear after take off, no big deal. Sometimes you can take off just below the limit and with a brake dragging even slightly it can tip the brakes over 300c on the take off roll. Keeping the gear down for a minute after take off cures this.

WASPERNATOR
29th Feb 2012, 21:11
Tom - do you fly easy-jets?