PDA

View Full Version : Longshot.. Ba rejected takeoff circa 2002

katie2931
12th Feb 2012, 17:57
As the subject says, I appreciate this is a total longshot due to not having many details..but thought I'd give it a go anyway! Back in (I think) January 2002 me and my family were returning to my dad's posting in Beijing, China after spending Christmas back in the UK. We were flying from heathrow with BA. The plane rejected takeoff at what I thought was a relatively low speed, but remember being a very scared 12 year old, concerned that although they were going to fix the problem, we would have to spend 11 hours on the aircraft that might potentially have something up with it! I appreciate today, that the issue was obviously minor but I have always wondered what the issue was. These are the only details i have unfortunately and after an AV Herald search and google, never came up with anything! thankyou.

WHBM
12th Feb 2012, 21:51
Rejected takeoff is nothing to report in public. Many each day around the world. Sort the problem, wait for the brakes to cool if necessary, bit of paperwork and on we go.

A quick look at the Jan 2002 logs for Heathrow shows BA39 to Beijing operated on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Flights in the period Jan 1-16 2002 had actual takeoff times of, in sequence, 1737, 1722, 1724, 1718, 1712, 1934, 1718. That one two hours after all the others is a likely candidate, it was Monday 14 January. The aircraft was G-YMML. You will be glad to know it is still very much around.

katie2931
13th Feb 2012, 08:20
That's great to know, thankyou.