PDA

View Full Version : How 'The System' Should Work.....

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Feb 2012, 05:11
From AvWeb, USA, a VFR pilot gets himself into 'big trouble', and ATC get him out of it....

An Excellent result, despite the pilot actually getting himself this far 'into trouble', in the first place....Interesting....Note the time frame....
Audio ON....

Podcast: Controllers to the Rescue (http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_2012ArchieAwardWinners_206131-1.html?kw=AVwebAudio)

He was just plain 'lucky' that he was within gliding range of a 'straight ahead' runway, and the ATC team on the ground having the ability and the knowledge to direct him accordingly.

Cheers :ok:

p.s. Would this pilot now be a 'criminal' in AUS..??

(Yeah - I know....better to be a 'live crim' than the alternative....)

:D

Frank Arouet
12th Feb 2012, 06:23
I think the concept of helping one's fellow man is alive and well in Australia, however I fear for the after effects. If the matter were left with Airservices I have full confidence and enough to encourage anyone in any remotely similar circumstance to ask for help.

The reality of the end result is contrary to stated dogma when CASA are involved.

DBTW
12th Feb 2012, 07:41
Ex FSO Griffo, despite a desire to agree with Frank A, your intimation is the correct one. Given our local dependence on strict liability as it relates to a complex regulatory system, in Australia the Mooney pilot is far more likely to have crashed without ever having called for assistance due to his belief any such call would be deemed an admission of criminal behaviour. Sad but true.

Wally Mk2
12th Feb 2012, 08:02
As much as we bag the Yanks about everything me takes me hat off to them as they are very aviation friendly. Would be interesting to see the same event happen here but fear of reprisals (for both ATC & Pilot) would no doubt have a bearing on who & just how much help is provided.

Good human story:ok:

Wmk2

Kenny
12th Feb 2012, 08:06
We've always had a very well honed ability to look down our antipodean noses at the Yanks and their way of doing aviation but as far as I'm concerned flying commercially within the US airspace system is an absolute joy.

It doesn't matter whether it's the Atco's or the rules politicians set, the end result is the same; it's a pain in the ar$e to deal with them. Compare the way ORD or JFK approach sequences 3 times the amount traffic with the mess SYD makes of it. No wonder we waste so much fuel here.

Runaway Gun
12th Feb 2012, 10:30
A great job, and I don't know the ins and outs but I would have considered keeping him high if he was low on fuel, rather thanks making him descend. However the outcome was brilliant.