PDA

View Full Version : Areas of Interest around Adeliade

daviojk
12th Feb 2012, 04:59
HI

I will be visiting the Barossa valley in March, and will be flying to Parafield. Hope to get some local flying in on the days when I am not visiting cellar doors.. Was thinking of looking at Kangaroo Island, and maybe fly over the Barossa too.

Anything recommended from the local GA population? Must sees /avoids & any local knowledge appreciated.

Thanks

baswell
12th Feb 2012, 07:38
If you are visiting the Barossa, you could also park your plane at Gawler. None of the major GA aerodrome nonsense...

Some ideas:

Aldinga has the most lovely setting and airport cafe you'll find anywhere in Australia. Great coffees, sandwiches and must-try brownies to finish off! Fly out to Murray Bridge or Mannum and follow the river to the lower lakes and then cut across the peninsula to Aldinga.

Great lunch platters at: Chapman River Wines - Good Food Kangaroo Island (http://www.goodfoodkangarooisland.com/wine/chapmanriverwines.asp) Phone ahead so they can clear the sheep of the runway. The airstrip is about 800m grass and gets regular use. It’s roughly 16/34 and has a power line a the Southern end and some small trees at the Northern end. The windsock is at the South Eastern end. S035 47.7 E138 04.1.

Of course visiting the Barossa Valley, you have to fly up that, maybe drop into Truro Flats to see who is around.

And if you have time (maybe on the way to/from): the Coorong is absolutely stunning. It stretches from the Murray mouth to Kingston SE. Kingston has several pubs and a beach in a 10 minute walking distance.

If you are going to/from Parafield to the south: plan between PNL and PAL (or v.v.) at 500 ft and they'll know exactly what you are after and will clear you "offshore north/south bound not above 500". Check out the Hope Valley VFR route, they may send you there if busy.

717tech
12th Feb 2012, 07:43
I would recommend having a look around the Murray Mouth (Coorong) area. Kangaroo Island is a beautiful place, just beware there is no Avgas available on the island.

South of Adelaide is Aldinga airfield, I would highly recommend stopping there for some coffee and cake! Also the last stop with fuel before heading to K.I.

Dexta
12th Feb 2012, 23:35
Don't forget Goolwa (YGWA), there is a loan car available if you want to check out the local wineries, excellent runways with a relaxed atmosphere with AVGAS, PULP & Jet A1 on bowser.

outnabout
13th Feb 2012, 00:10
Clare Valley (near Barossa Valley) has got some excellent wines, and an airstrip at Clare.

And if you're heading North, the Flinders Ranges has some fabbo places to stay, and some mighty fine scenery.

Jack Ranga
13th Feb 2012, 06:11
And Robe struck me as a nice place, dropped in for a feed when driving through. It's got a strip I think?

717tech
13th Feb 2012, 07:56
Yes there is a strip at Robe. The whole southern coast line is worth seeing!

Jack Ranga
13th Feb 2012, 09:23
I must get back there one day :ok:

baswell
13th Feb 2012, 23:09
Robe is a bit farther out of town than most, but it is a very nice town with loads of restaurants and cafes.

Great for a weekend away; get the B&B owner to pick you up and drop you off; once you are in town you won't need a car.

Jack Ranga
13th Feb 2012, 23:32
Gees, come on here to recommend a place to travel and get hooked in myself!

Strip details in the country airstrip guide??

Anyone have any local knowledge on the strip itself??

Mr.Buzzy
14th Feb 2012, 09:26
..... Melbourne.......

Bbbbbzbzbzbzbzbzbzb

wishiwasupthere
14th Feb 2012, 09:49
..... Melbourne.......

Haha. :ok: The best thing about Adelaide?

The road to Melbourne....

Howard Hughes
14th Feb 2012, 10:20
The best thing about Adelaide?

Naaah...Fru-chocs!:ok:

shnev
14th Feb 2012, 11:22
Why on earth would ya wanna visit the Barossa! Awful place, and the people- eugh ! :o

mostlytossas
14th Feb 2012, 11:55
And if any of you blokes do decide to visit Adelaide please turn your engines off at top of decent. We don't like to be woken up you hear?:)

baswell
14th Feb 2012, 20:28
Haha. The best thing about Adelaide?
Yeah, and unlike Melbourne's road to Adelaide, you don't even need to pay for it, or stand in line long to use it. You should try that some time with your roads!

Marauder
14th Feb 2012, 22:36
Q) Where do you get the best view of Melbourne ? :rolleyes:

A) In your rear view mirror :D:D

(Standing by for Sunfish !!!!)

Marauder
14th Feb 2012, 22:44
Kangaroo Island definitely worth a visit.

No public transport, but generally accomodation establishments will pick you up from airport.

Be cautious with hire cars, huge excess for single vehicle accidents, which is not just roll-overs, bumping into the fauna etc but collisions with wildlife, kangaroos in particular, and only 100km a day.

KI is big, third biggest island in Aust approx 150 km long and 50 km wide.

If it is what suits you, take organised tours but own travel is the better way to go.

Other way is to hire a car in Adelaide (normally unlimetd km(, check out the McLaren Vale wine regions heading south and then take the Sealink ferry to KI (again check any hire car restrictions, most are ok and don't have the huge excess from the KI rentals)

Plan to spend about three days there, to see it properly and to enjoy it without rushing.

tinpis
16th Feb 2012, 02:15
Port Agutter cultural centre.

shnev
16th Feb 2012, 02:59
Tinpis.... You're still verticle

Mr.Buzzy
16th Feb 2012, 05:08
Hey Marauder,
Did you hear about the dead person found with a mouth full of cornflakes?

They suspect it was a cereal killer..........boom tsh...

Bbbbbzbzbbzzbzbzbbzbzzbbzb

3 Holer
16th Feb 2012, 05:27
1. Friday Jokes is in the Jet Blast forum.

2. It's not Friday yet!!!!!!!!!!