PDA

View Full Version : Called FAA Medical Certification today

IMC-OOPS
10th Feb 2012, 03:43
Hello, as this is my first post here, let me thank the board administrators for letting me play.

I am not a professional avaitor. In fact, I have not been a pilot in command for about 11 years. Just getting back into flying. I hold a Commercial Certificate, Instrument Rating and back in the day was cleared for complex and hige performance aircraft SEL.

My best friend is an ATP plus a CFI, CFII MEI plus type rated in several heavies. He also owns a beautiful Cessna 172 - my speed.

He has been after me to fly with him and to cut me loose in the Cessna. So, in July I took my medical. Trouble is I told the doctor the truth and as I have sleep apnea and was taking three prohibited meds I flunked. I took the MWT and and since I already had the sleep study plus 100 % sleep machine compliance I thought I was good to go when I forwarded my request for reconsideration. No, Heck no. I kinda forget that I was dealing with the FAA. Not picking on them. They do a good job. Saying that in the event any of them read this board.
No, you are really good people

Got a glowing report from my sleep doctor and according to another AME not the one I went to, the sleep doctor said all of the right things to most likely get me back the medical or at least the special issuance.

My packet went in two weeks ago. Today, I called their branch and started out by saying to the secretary

I am sure none of the pilots that call you are ever the least bit impatient!

I was interrupted by a howl of laughter that went on for about 15 seconds. When she stopped laughing she asked me my P!# and to verify my address. I gave that information to her and she said, I needed that laugh. She told me my packet was in the stack to be considered, but she would not guarantee but somehow my packet might accidently be placed on the top of the stack. But, no guarantee.

She asked me for my contact number in the event of approval.

I hung up from that conversation with a smile on my face.

Jarvy
2nd Mar 2012, 19:29
Best of luck there, it normally takes about 2 months for my packet to get to the top!

obgraham
3rd Mar 2012, 14:58
The Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Most who deal with FAA Medical advise calling at least once a week. Typical time at Oklahoma City is 2 to 3 months. If you act more interested, so will they.