PDA

View Full Version : About Epaulettes. How not to be a pretentious B******

Isaac2112
9th Feb 2012, 16:10
Hi all,

New here. I just got my Commercial Pilots License, Multi-Engine a in January here in my home of Las Vegas, NV. I fly a Cessna T310Q all around the Southwest on a routine basis. I fly for hire at least 4 times a month, flying passengers to John Wayne International, Lindbergh International, Laughlin, Kingman and sometimes even Salt Lake City or Denver. I am also a pilot for two aerial photography companies.

My question is simple. For the purposes of looking the part, should I wear epaulettes (I currently wear basically a white outdoorsman shirt with the loops, and I try to wear slacks when I remember). I fly pretty high level clientale, including the President of a National-level corporation.

The reason I ask is at some of these large airports, we get treated like a couple of guys goin for a burger. I want the passengers to be treated and feel like they are part of the charter system. I KNOW that wearing epaulettes (I know it sounds kinda pretentious) But I am a commercial pilot flying up to 5 passengers for hire... So here is my question, don't think I am gonna go struttin around in full regalia at my local FBO. Can I wear epaulettes. If so, how many bars (wearing four seems so much the behavior of a total wanabee). Thanks guys.

PT6A
9th Feb 2012, 18:01
Your passengers should not "feel" like they are part of the charter system, as they are not....

You just got your CPL, so are not flying as PIC for a 135 outfit.....

Why not just wear something smart? Climbing in and it of a C310 with a set of bars on well........:ugh:

redsnail
9th Feb 2012, 18:04
What does every one else wear?

For the charter with pax ops, I'd wear a 3 bar epaulettes.
For the aerial photography, smart comfy shirt.

Capt Claret
9th Feb 2012, 19:55
As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, or sciolists*, to elicit certain reactions. :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :\