PDA

View Full Version : Proving electronic harassment in court

OLD METL
9th Feb 2012, 14:13
About a year ago, I got a sociopath evicted from our building due to drug sales and now a remaining tenant is using a speaker to harass us from above. There is no sound, only sound waves and amplification. He might have the setup on a timer, because it always goes off around 3:00 am.

I am a pilot and you can imagine what it is like to put up with this.

Can any of you techies tell me how to create a record of this that will stand up in court? What kind of recording device do I need? Can it run through a PC or some app? It can't be that complicated, right? Thanks.

lochias
9th Feb 2012, 18:35
cut the power that will reset the timer

OLD METL
10th Feb 2012, 03:47
I am considering a Weatherby, but I digress.

How DO you record a sound wave with no sound?

grounded27
10th Feb 2012, 05:24
Sorry for your trouble, your assumption of sound is something than can be heard by the human ear, I am certain there are recording devices that can record this.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Feb 2012, 07:54
Either it's white noise or sound outside of the human hearing range, but not physical perception, I'd guess.

Either way, there are two obvious (to me) options. One is to engineer a power cut, so hopefully that might shut down whatever is controlling the noise generation. Worth a go - presumably a quiet word with, and bottle of wine to, the building janitor might make that happen.

If that fails, you need an environmental noise monitor: the sort of thing somebody might use to put together a case about aircraft noise! I'd suggest something like the expert version of this (http://www.campbell-associates.co.uk/hiredet-envno140.htm) which you can hire for about £35/day, and will allow you to output both a recording and a noise level analysis to a laptop.

If your local council has an environmental health department, they *might* have one you can borrow, or loan at a cheap rate, for the purpose.

Your profile says you're in El Paso, in which case you could try this company (http://www.splservices.com/noise-mitigation/sound-level-management/) who seem to be on your doorstep and have the right equipment.

G

Oldlae
10th Feb 2012, 09:05
Contact your local council, their environment department should act for you. I had a call from our council soon after I had a radio in my workshop playing for most of the day, I had to turn it down a little.

Genghis the Engineer
10th Feb 2012, 09:23
Contact your local council, their environment department should act for you. I had a call from our council soon after I had a radio in my workshop playing for most of the day, I had to turn it down a little.

One suspects that the attitudes of councils in Devon and Texas may be slightly different!

G