PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me identify the plane used in this trailer?

wthdude
9th Feb 2012, 02:50
The link: The Bourne Legacy Official Trailer #1 - Jeremy Renner Movie (2012) HD - YouTube

The plane shows up around 1:30 mark, and again at 1:35 - I'm thinking it could be a Piper Navajo, but I'm not entirely sure.

But also, notice how they use a jet sound for the airplane - stupid mistake.

Thanks in advance!

TheiC
9th Feb 2012, 06:38
Góðan daginn!

Yes, a Piper Navajo.

And yes, the sound track is not appropriate.

Groundloop
9th Feb 2012, 08:14
That is NOT supposed to be the sound of the aircraft - it is part of the musical soundtrack.

wthdude
9th Feb 2012, 14:47
Góðan daginn!

I don't agree on it being the musical soundtrack playing - the jet sound plays twice, exactly when the plane comes into frame. It's clearly the desired sound effect for the plane.

But it's settled then, it's a Piper Navajo. All though I find the props to look kinda different from the back. You'll usually see there being room for luggage in the compartment in the back of the engine mount? .. not sure what to call it. But you'll see on this photo how it extends beyond the back of the wing (see here: http://www.completecustomsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/017.jpg ). But in the trailer it doesn't look like it extends like that.

Maybe it's a new model or something.

Anyways - thank! Takk!

Dave Barnshaw
9th Feb 2012, 15:06
That is definitley a PA31 .:D

ZOOKER
9th Feb 2012, 18:36
PA31 Navajo.
Unfortunately I can't stop the video to get a screenshot for you.

treadigraph
9th Feb 2012, 20:50
Wthdude, some of the earlier 300 and 310 Navajos did not have the baggage lockers extending behind the wing.

srobarts
9th Feb 2012, 21:30
Like this?
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt47/jasperspaniel/Misc/ScreenShot019.jpg

ZOOKER
9th Feb 2012, 22:47
Nice one. :ok:

Groundloop
10th Feb 2012, 07:24
don't agree on it being the musical soundtrack playing - the jet sound plays twice, exactly when the plane comes into frame. It's clearly the desired sound effect for the plane.

But it also plays over other scenes in the trail - such as the bloke in the dimly lit office. Do you think the weird sounds that play over the scene of someone being hit (around the 1.18 mark) is supposed to be the actual sound of the hits?!

jackieofalltrades
10th Feb 2012, 14:14
I would agree that it's the background music sound. I would postulate that it's coincidental that it appears at the same shots as the plane flying.

Peter Kiss
13th Aug 2012, 14:06
I actually rented my 1974 Piper Navajo to Universal Studios. The movie was filmed in Alberta, Canada (west of Calgary) and they wanted a white Navajo (most a that horrible beige colour). We relocated the plane from CYXD to CYBF where it sat for a week. The whole scene was filmed in one take and they put three hours on the aircraft.

They had to get a special permit from Transport Canada to change to civil identification from C-GFFI to an American November number.

They also go very lucky as it snowed that morning with no wind and they had a nice coating of white snow on the trees.

Gulfstreamaviator
17th Aug 2012, 11:18
The Navajo usually had NO extended lockers...the Chieftain had extended lockers.

I owned a straight PA31, in UK, many years ago, and acted as charter captain on Chieftains too.

I saw the movie, and loved the PA31 sequence, but I did think that the very first viewing had tip tanks a la Panther..... need to get my hands on a "copy" of movie.