PDA

View Full Version : 42 Commando

dazdaz1
8th Feb 2012, 18:09
On a family visit we were driving along a 'b' road (no location for security) when the young men of 42 Commando where doing a route run, fully kitted out, down this small narrow lane.I pulled over to let the guys pass.

I presumed a Sgt would be leading the guys? What I understood, listening to the verbal, the main man was in a vehicle behind the boys, shouting out orders to them. Is this the norm?

Daz

Mach Two
8th Feb 2012, 18:23
If you're suggesting that that more senior guys don't do the same physical stuff as the "men", then, NO, that is not the norm. They all do it together. Maybe a particular exercise you were seeing.

Moi/
8th Feb 2012, 22:19
One man, two jobs.

Probably briefed the troop/senior man on what is expected when & where. Also acts as a support vehicle incase of any injuries etc.

mad_jock
8th Feb 2012, 23:13
Or its the PTI in the meat wagon shouting sweet words of encouragement as they do.

wingcmdr
9th Feb 2012, 09:23
Ah those immortal words from the PTI...............

" Twice around my beautiful body...GO! "

magicmick
9th Feb 2012, 10:17
How about these:

“Pain is temporary, failure is forever”

“Pain is just weakness leaving the body”

Airborne Aircrew
9th Feb 2012, 12:17
"It's only pain"

On the sign marking 1 mile to CTCRM Lympstone.

airborne_artist
9th Feb 2012, 12:19
"It's mind over matter lads" - swiftly followed by: "We don't mind and you don't matter" :E

Airborne Aircrew
9th Feb 2012, 17:03
I'm sure 42 Commando fly in military aircraft from time to time... :E

dazdaz1
9th Feb 2012, 17:07
Thank you for your support, Airborne Aircrew.

Daz

airborne_artist
9th Feb 2012, 17:16
http://www.radiotimes.com/rt-service/image/render?imageUrl=/Libraries/Photo_gallery_The_Apprentice_2011/L-company3_censored.sflb.ashx&width=580&height=350&quality=85

"Radio Times would like to apologise for a picture that has inadvertently been published in the new issue of the magazine.

It has come to our attention that an apparently innocent photo of the Royal Marines’ 42 Commando unit – printed by Radio Times in good faith and issued by Channel 5’s publicity department to promote the documentary Royal Marines: Mission Afghanistan – contains the sight of one of the marines playing a prank.

"I know that British soldiers serving in Afghanistan are well equipped, but seeing the roll call of Royal Marines gives the expression a whole new meaning,” wrote one reader in a letter to RT this morning.

The unnamed marine is, like the rest of his unit, posing for the photograph dressed only in shorts. What we took to be the marine’s finger proved, on closer inspection, to be another part of his anatomy.

We have redacted the picture above, but the 28 January issue of Radio Times magazine – on sale today, priced £1.40 – went to press before the mistake was noticed.

"We apologise for any upset caused to readers by the rogue member of 42 Commando,” said Radio Times editor Ben Preston."

:E

Courtney Mil
9th Feb 2012, 18:23
...but it's so funny that a Marine has managed to sneak that past the journos and ended up with his todger in the RT. BZ, fella!

airborne_artist
9th Feb 2012, 18:29
That's a story that will improve with the telling. I hate to think how much alcohol has been consumed on the strength of it already :ok:

diginagain
9th Feb 2012, 18:30
...but it's so funny that a Marine has managed to sneak that past the journos and ended up with his todger in the RT. BZ, fella! Funnier from a Pongo's perspective that it was so small the photo got as far as publication before anyone spotted it. :p

November4
9th Feb 2012, 21:25
No mention of the Marine on the extreme left "supporting" the one next to him.

The Marine being supported looks like Cpl Paul Vise(?) who Chris Tyrell said at the end of the programme that weeks later he was blown up by an IED loosing so much blood, his heart stopped twice on the MedEvac helo. He survived but has been left with serious injuries to his torso, neck and brain.

Guess he needs the support now....

isaneng
10th Feb 2012, 16:43
Some confusion reigned when middle eastern immigrations expected 42 commandos to enter the country. Oh the paperwork.............

RedhillPhil
10th Feb 2012, 16:51
Does anyone recall the picture of the Scottish regiment occifer types sitting in a group picture with H.M.? One of them was obviously a McDonald as he was showing his quarter pounder with the trimmings.

November4
10th Feb 2012, 20:55
This one...?

http://hoaxblog.s3.amazonaws.com/simonwest.jpg

MATELO
10th Feb 2012, 23:06
I presumed a Sgt would be leading the guys? What I understood, listening to the verbal, the main man was in a vehicle behind the boys, shouting out orders to them. Is this the norm?

Why would you presume....

The Sgt did this run 12/15 years ago and has nothing to prove. They are there to oversee the training exercise. Just like a pilot who trained 10 years ago would not land a plane with a trainee on board... you have to do it yourself.

Basinga... for the FI's.

timex
11th Feb 2012, 02:39
Why would you presume....

The Sgt did this run 12/15 years ago and has nothing to prove. They are there to oversee the training exercise. Just like a pilot who trained 10 years ago would not land a plane with a trainee on board... you have to do it yourself.

Not quite true, most if not all runs are taken by either Tp Boss,Tp Sgt or one of the Cpl's. No-one sits in the safety vehicle other than the Medic. (Which is great when everyone of the buggers is an ML)!:\:\

FODPlod
11th Feb 2012, 07:35
42 Cdo - Busy people. Came back from Helmand in October and just finished BOLD ALLIGATOR, a major amphibious exercise in the States. This video includes shots of Juliet Coy 42 Cdo, V-22 Osprey and CH-53E Super Stallion in action:
BBC News: Bold Aligator: 19,000 troops amphibious exercise (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16958835)

November4
2nd Mar 2012, 10:02
Another side to the RM deployment to Afghanistan

As you read this I am beginning a long period of rehabilitation at DMRC Headley Court. Not where I expected to be after I was informed in May 10 that after years of pestering the Provost Marshalls Dog Inspectorate (PMDI’s) for an operational Arms Explosive Search (AES) tour, I had been given my chance to deploy to Op Herrick as an AES handler.

Insight Online (http://www.theinsightonline.co.uk/features/corporal-mick-mcconnell-experience-aes-afghanistan/)