PDA

View Full Version : How to study ATPL (Distance learning)

flying free.LEVC
7th Feb 2012, 16:40
Hi, I started my ATPL with the Metropolitan University of London a few weeks ago and by the moment studying hard Principles of flight.

I read that I will need at least 60 hours to this subject, but I know it will take me much longer, since the instructor advised me reading ALL the book, answering all the questions and doing all the tests.

I am doing exactly that, but it takes me some time to understand some concepts, outline, summarize and copy the most important to go through all the main concepts afterwards, improving the general outlook.

Am I doing well? I want to LEARN, not just doing tests to pass the exams, but studying 15 hours per week as advised, I´ll need two months to finish this first subject, not 1 as it says in the "suggested study programme"

How did you manage?

Cheers¡

Genghis the Engineer
7th Feb 2012, 17:15
Probably about right. It took me a lot less, but I already had a degree in PofF (well, aeronautical engineering, which is pretty much the same thing). I certainly took that sort of time with subjects like Air Law, that I really had to work hard at.

The main things, which it sounds like you've grasped, is to learn by doing, and to aim for understanding before just getting into question spotting.

The fact is, there's an enormous amount of material there and it does take a very long time to get through it.

G

flying free.LEVC
18th Feb 2012, 12:17
Thanks a lot for your answer.

I am reading every single page of the books and trying to understand everything, but I see that eventually I will need to hit a good question bank, many questions are different.

Could anyone advised me a good/updated question bank for the new syllabus??

I´ve heard about EASA bank, aviation exam, Bristol, ATL online...but which one is updated for the new exams in 2012???

Thanks a lot

DiamondC
23rd Feb 2012, 21:06
I’d say if you understand 80 – 90% of the subject, move onto the Question Bank. Going through the questions and reading the answer explanations (make sure you sign up for a QB that includes answers) will help you learn more of the content. There’s also the brushup course to cover any areas you are still having trouble with – sometimes the instructors will be able to explain something in a few minutes, in a different way from the textbook, and you’ll have an “aaaah now I get it” moment.

I’d also recommend a quick review of the subject content to understand which subjects and topics have some practical relevance (e.g. Flight Planning) so good to learn and understand, and some which do not and you just have to memorise facts for the exam. You can plan your study timetable accordingly. For example, I started memorising (e.g. number of fire extinguishers, oxygen masks, crash axes, colour-code for emergency supplies, obscure details of GPS and other rnav systems, …) towards the end of my study so I’d still remember them for the exam.

I did old syllabus (finished in Dec) but if you think I can help further, feel free PM me.

I used the Bristol QB but that was old syllabus, not sure whether it is the best option for new syllabus.

flying free.LEVC
25th Mar 2012, 17:51
Good afternoon to everybody,

I am doing one of the feedback progress tests at the moment and I´ve seen that sometimes i am not able to answer specific questions even looking for it in the book.

I´m doing exams in August and considering using the Bristol bank together with my online Londonmet program.

Do you think it would be worth? has anyone got experience passing with good marks after studying just the bank of Londonmet?

I will appreciate your help. The problem is that i would get low marks if i just studied the books

Best wishes.

pudoc
25th Mar 2012, 19:17
London Met have a habit of telling students ATPL Online is rubbish. Ignore them and get onto ATPL Online. It's the only way to play the examiners game.

AJ1990
27th Mar 2012, 07:56
My experience of weblearn (the London Met online QB) was that it was littered with mistakes. It tests you at a level higher than what you would actually experience in the real exams which can be helpful, but it's difficult to trust the correct answers given. ATPL Online does the job perfectly :ok:

SunderlandMatt
27th Mar 2012, 09:47
It's not easy doing the course via DL.

Read all of each of the books. It'll give you an understanding of the subject. You may not need to be able to recite it all but you'll at least be familiar with it when various subjects pop up in either interview or whilst working as a pilot.

Once you've read all of the books and you're approaching exam time, you need to play at the examiners game! Use the question bank. The questions are often so poorly written that you'll find it difficult to figure out exactly what they are asking. The new EASA question bank still needs to be developed. It's certainly not as accurate as the old JAA syllabus but with time, it will become another powerful aide to revision.

The exams are there to cut the chaff. The practical tests for your CPL and IR as well as the interview and type rating are where you'll be tested properly.

Good luck. Stick at it. :ok:

737Pablo
27th Mar 2012, 11:14
Hi, I had a good experience with Aviationexam.com. They are adding explanations to questions. I was using their web and pc soft, but I remember they were offering also applications for iPads or iPhones.