PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Cabair Fair Weather Base?

New FO
7th Feb 2012, 09:10
Hi all, Anyone know where Cabair are doing their fair weather training now? It used to be in the states but I think their changing it to Spain. Is anyone there now? Or are people doing their single training in the uk during the transition?

Or in fact, is this all rumour! Are people still training in the USA?

Groundloop
7th Feb 2012, 11:49
All Cabair flying done at Cranfield at the moment.

They are currently looking at a new base in Spain - not Requena.

New FO
7th Feb 2012, 16:23
Ah okay. At least the weather's been good for it recently.

Is spain good/bad? Any different from the USA? I guess FTE do all their training in Spain but can't really come up with why one would be better than another.

Closer to the UK I suppose. I heard they had some issues with training in the USA which is part of the reason for taking the opportunity to move it.

I'm wondering where quality of training and continuity would be better. Spain or USA for integrated? Anyone got any thoughts or experience?

Genghis the Engineer
7th Feb 2012, 17:09
Ah okay. At least the weather's been good for it recently.

Not this week, as yet again EGTC is closed because the airport refuses to invest in any kind of snow clearing equipment.

G

zondaracer
7th Feb 2012, 17:39
Is spain good/bad? Any different from the USA? Spain is good for near year round VFR, especially in the south. USA is a big country with varied weather depending on location. But if you mean Florida, then Florida also has a lot of VFR weather.

I guess FTE do all their training in Spain but can't really come up with why one would be better than another.
Weather makes a big difference. Especially when you are trying to get training done in VFR conditions and it is always foggy and cloudy. Maybe they have lower costs by working in Spain. Or maybe marketing gimmick because sunny Spain sounds nice :)

Closer to the UK I suppose. I heard they had some issues with training in the USA which is part of the reason for taking the opportunity to move it.
Have you not seen this? http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/467982-cabair-general-discussion-those-involved.html

timeforclarity
8th Feb 2012, 18:09
EGTC is not closed, flying has been taking place since Tuesday.

However the lack of de-icing equipment is not good. The fire engines were racing up and down the runway breaking up the snow on Tuesday.

I hear we're looking at Spain for the fair-weather base. Probably will be up and running by this summer. A bit late for students who had to return from the USA.