PDA

View Full Version : Drop Rating Otago/Southland

seneca208
7th Feb 2012, 04:14
Hi guys,

I'm looking for somewhere within driving distance from Dunedin to do my parachute drop rating. This would therefore rule out Wanaka and Queenstown. Obviously if I can't, I will look at doing it elsewhere, but I'd like to be able to do it close if possible. As a new CPL, it would probably need to be in a piston.

jkeg
7th Feb 2012, 09:21
Hi Ben

Sorry but if you are not able to get to Wanaka or Qtown then I would say you will be out of luck. I am fairly sure these are just about the only places left that would be close enough.
Plus it is very unlikly that they would let you do it even if you can get there.

1. Most places these days operate turbines so you probley would need a min 500hrs PIC before they would let you jump in. I know Qtown operate a Grand Caravan, Cresco and a Fletcher.

2.There normaly isn't the room to take a trainee pilot, as the seat is taken out for an extra jumper or two or it has a oxygen bottle in its place.
Unless they were training you for a job they wouldn't muck around with putting it in.

I was a skydive pilot for 4 years and have worked at 2 of the major skydive companys around NZ. All my time flying there we only every trained guys that had a job with us.
I worked my way up from the ground and I had done nearly every job at a drop zone before I got my drop rating.

I am not saying this is the only way to get one but from my experiance it can be very tricky.
There maybe others around that have got theres another way.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Jkeg

A.Sullivan
21st Apr 2012, 01:18
Hey Kjeg.
am curious as to what sort of work you did before your drop rating? I'm in a similar position and am wanting to do my drop rating. Due to study however this wont be possible until I finish my degree. I was just wondering if there would be any work experience (other than hours) you would suggest that would make a pilot more employable in a drop zone? I have worked in hospitality for a number of years and feel this would help. I am also self studying for the BGT exam. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A.S.