PDA

View Full Version : How much will a typical JAA Instrument Rating cost, on its own?

S8Priv.Ops
6th Feb 2012, 13:57
How much will a typical JAA Instrument Rating cost, on its own, flown in the UK?

Thanks

Rodrek
6th Feb 2012, 15:53
I think that the average price is around 12-14k pounds.
good luck!

Morris542
6th Feb 2012, 18:19
As an add on question to this thread...

... I've been busily researching ways of modular training for after I leave university. I saw one example of someone who did the IR before he did his CPL etc. Would this be a good idea, cheaper overall or would you not recomend such an approach?

Cobalt
6th Feb 2012, 21:24
Generally, many adivse against doing the IR before the CPL. If you have done most of your PPL and hour building in slow, simple singles, and go straight to a multi-engie conversion and the IR, your IR training time might be less effective because you still have to get comfortable with stepping up to a faster, more complex aircraft.

The CPL provides an intermediate step with a retractable single or, potentially, a twin if you want to do that, and in the IR course you can focus on instrument flying instead of struggeling with the aircraft.

Having said that - I did the IR before the CPL, but had 350hrs TT including 50% complex including a Turbo Saratoga, and did a single engine IR, so hand no problem.