PDA

View Full Version : How to get a Job in Engineering Industry

Deathstar_Driver
6th Feb 2012, 12:30
Regards, I understand that this website is mainly for aviation proffesionals so please forgive me if I am in the wrong place or if there is a thread on this elsewhere on your site.

Unlike others on the site who aspire to be pilots I aspire to join the engineering proffesion. I am searching for a company to train me under an apprenticeship scheme or any other for of training. Unlike becoming a pilot where I can just train for the licenses it seeming far more difficult in this industry.

I did an NVQ Level 2 in Performing Engineering Operations in order to qualify for an apprenticeship or a entry level job in engineering. However it seems I am still unqualified - All I would require to get onto an apprenticeship is 5 GCSEs A-C including Math and English (If I knew at the time I would have just dont GCSEs again rather than study engineering at college)

Is there anyway/options I can get trained as a Engineering tech without the GCSE prereqs?

Are there any employers out there who will just accept and NVQ 2 in Engineering?
What guidance can the experienced engineers here give me to get into employment in your industry?

At the age of 24 being stuck in dead end jobs for 4-5 years I really want out and am prepared to do what it takes.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

BluFin
7th Feb 2012, 17:50
GCSE'S Will form part of your "Key Skills" and would be required for any framework Apprenticeship.

At 24 I think a number of possible employers would think twice about you on the Apprenticeship route due to the increased cost (Funding Reduces as you get older, 19+),

Have a look at the City & Guild Web site for Aero Level 3 requirements

Also
BTec & EdExcel

ATB