PDA

View Full Version : The worst security and customs ports in AUS

Packvalve
6th Feb 2012, 12:14
I have my own experience as crew, but just wondering if there is any consensus?

bubblyguy
6th Feb 2012, 12:24
I find Perth is the worst with no consistency with the security staff, especially at international.

I've had to put eggs one by one into individual LAGs bags, sometimes get water bottles I forget confiscated or sometimes they chuck me out and make everything go through again. Plus the whole ETD and then frisk thing really annoys me - can't think of anywhere else where they are so separated so that often you will have to submit to both (and they do pick on crew in Perth).

Same thing with customs with no crew priority after passport control, crew have to line up with passengers and when you get in at certain times with 4 aircraft arrivals at the same time you can be waiting up to an hour which of course is all not paid. All other international airports I have been through in Australia treat crew as a priority.

Australia needs to look at how many airports in Asia treat crew and see if they can model that. Works brilliantly over there... we are there for work, not because we want to be there.

Bevan666
6th Feb 2012, 18:29
The best? Lord Howe Island - cuppla stamps, job done :ok:

Anthill
6th Feb 2012, 21:41
Has improved in recent years. Some of the bloody-mindedness WRT customs has yielded to a more practical approach by staff.

In the past, both SYD and BNE were awful. Sure, there is a crew line at both ports, however, we have to share these with APEC travellers. This is not acceptable-all crew should have a dedicated line.

AQIS at SYD and BNE have, in the past, required aircrew to line up with everyone else. This is pretty much unique to Australia. Everywhere else in the world has a line specifically for crew.

In one instance in SYD, my crew and I had operated an international flight and then had to get over to the domestic terminal to operate from there. Despite showing the AQIS staff our rosters, we were all told (very aggressively!) to "..get in the line with everyone else. We don't give special treatment because you are crew". It took us 45 mins to get through customs. This attitude has now changed at these ports and AQIS have been fantastic in helping us out.

Which leaves MEL.... the very worst place for crew. Last time I was there it took 1hr 55 mins from shut down to walking out the the glass doors. Did I make my paxing connection? Of course not :*

Ejector
6th Feb 2012, 22:18
I still get a laugh at the young guy in Darwin who every time I go check the Jepps binder to inspect the pull out back supports. Not complaining though, it is funny now.

But, OMG, that older lady rent a cop at Gold Coast, takes my vote for the rudest witch of them all. :D

Captain Dart
6th Feb 2012, 23:34
MEL is dreadful. The experience of operating all night, arriving early morning and entering the baggage/quarantine area is usually the low point of the entire flight.

Long lineups behind the Middle East crews at Customs (at least there is a dedicated crew channel there) is just a foretaste of the baggage/quarantine area, where thronging masses of humanity fight their way from the baggage carousels with their luggage to where the head of the AQIS inspection queue 'might' be.

I've actually offered to go to Officeworks and make them up a sign saying 'Priority for Crew' so that at least we can go to the head of the x-ray lineup, but it's 'why should you be any different, mate?'

'Well, we've been working all night, the passengers have been sleeping, watching television and drinking wine...mate'.

:ugh:

Anthill
7th Feb 2012, 01:11
Yeah, not to mention that I have a much higher level of employment related security screening in place, Maaate.

Not to mention that I get DAMP tested, Maaate.

Also that I have to put up with this **** twice a week, Maaate!

Aside from the fact that I am not being paid 15 mins after shut-down, Maate!

How about I tell my company that you delayed me resulting in either a missed pax flight, duty extention or late sign-on tomorrow, Maaate!

and the rest...:ugh:

Animalclub
7th Feb 2012, 01:23
Not sure if this is still the case at BNE... but in a similar vein I saw that other than Australian passport holders were being allowed through the Australian passport holders line.
I wrote to the Head of Brisbane Customs to ask why... lo and behold I and my airport manager were invited to tea with the Customs gentleman and two others. It boiled down to the fact that they didn't have sufficient funds to employ the requisite staff to police the queues!!!

apollo85
7th Feb 2012, 01:54
Stop your whining...

Until you get to compare AUS to PNG.... they make us look incredibly efficient and professional... it is quite an experience and a laugh i tell you!! :rolleyes:

Slasher
7th Feb 2012, 03:54
Stop your whining...

Oh I'm sure you can fit just one more in here can't you? :\

we were all told (very aggressively!) to "..get in the line with everyone else. We don't give special treatment because you are crew"

'why should you be any different, mate?'

And its THAT piece of typical fcuking parochial mentality as
to why I'm thankful I don't fly into Oz anymore. Still I get
this "So you people getcha own counter ay?" sometimes from
these dip**** bogans who can afford to travel overseas purely
on the strength of the Oz dollar. My usual reply is "Yeh.....we
people do. Doesn't your country afford the same measure of
efficiency?"

Fcukwits.

But I recall Sinney did have a crew counter once. Did those
scumbag ALP commies have it removed under its bull****
cliched banner of "elitist"?

'Well, we've been working all night, the passengers have been sleeping, watching television and drinking wine...mate'.

And its a pity you're in uniform at the time Dart. Otherwise
you could reply to these braindead pricks more "openly".

Anthill
7th Feb 2012, 04:08
And its a pity you're in uniform at the time Dart. Otherwise
you could reply to these braindead pricks more "openly".

Man, there's been times that I've wanted to do that! Particular to some punters, who pushed in with a "you're staff, I'm a customer". If you p!ss off AQIS you might get the 'Rubber Glove' treatment (sans Vaseline :ooh: ).

At a previous company, some d!ckhead QF manager (apparently 'famous' for this sort of stuff) in BNE told a Captain that if he went to the front of the very long queue of passengers at security screening, that he would biff him. The Captain kept his cool and didn't react (that's why he was a Captain!) but reported the manager through the appropriate channels :ok:

Slasher
7th Feb 2012, 06:20
Australia needs to look at how many airports in Asia treat
crew and see if they can model that. Works brilliantly over
there... we are there for work, not because we want to be
there.

Spot on!

PEK can has its infamous moments though for departure but
absolutely none of that Dunnunda bull**** - they don't have
an "us verses them" mental handicap.

In fact IMO it will be SE Asia who'll be the first to realise that
crew and airport security can work together (be on the same
side). Imagine one of your jackbooting Oz obersturmführers
coming up to you (after you've breezed through security) and
ask "Captain we feel this passenger item may be a risk (a set
of fcuking long car keys for chrissakes!) but do you accept it
on board your aircraft?" This was after I asked to see the pax
for myself (a little 90yo Jap bloke).

nitpicker330
7th Feb 2012, 07:19
Yes MEL with out a doubt the worst in the world.

As far as I can see its the only place without a crew channel to exit the building.

And don't start me on their attitude....:mad:

Officious and rude most of the time......:mad:

InTheWeeds
7th Feb 2012, 10:50
Call me paranoid but is this thread appropriate?

I'm not sure that collating a list of airports which aircrew think have poor security is a really trendy idea...

Just my opinion.

Worrals in the wilds
7th Feb 2012, 10:56
Nah, probably not. Post deleted.
However, I think the deficiencies are more than obvious to anyone who's looking. Rude does not equal effective.

Fliegenmong
7th Feb 2012, 11:48
Quote: But, OMG, that older lady rent a cop at Gold Coast, takes my vote for the rudest witch of them all.

He he, I think I know the one!

I found a photo of me the other day, aged about 2 1/2, wearing a little sailor suit (Thanks Mum!) at OOL, in front of a DC-9, must be about '74 (?) :\

Slasher
7th Feb 2012, 15:55
Also that I have to put up with this **** twice a week, Maaate!

I hear ya Anthill!

http://whatwouldjackdo.net/images/tsa-probe.jpg

DX Wombat
7th Feb 2012, 16:27
The best? Lord Howe Island - cuppla stamps, job doneOr just try sneaking in on one of HM's boats but be careful where you park it. :rolleyes:

Masif Eego
7th Feb 2012, 18:33
@ Slasher..

so that's the reason so many boys want to be airline pilots ??