PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to know everything ?

Jumbo744
6th Feb 2012, 03:04
Hello all,

I am wondering, do you guys (pilots specially) often forget what you were taught in the primary stages of your training? not flying wise but regarding the theory?

I try to keep up with my knowledge but it seems like I forget easily. A few weeks ago I was doing a B200 training and knew a lot about the plane. It's been 5 weeks since I've flown it and I need to go back to the books to remember a few things. I believe it's because I get caught in the routine of my operations or, the routine of what I am doing, and focus only on what is important to me for my current daily work.

I would like to change that. Do you guys feel the same?

Intruder
6th Feb 2012, 04:16
You'll never know or remember everything.

Concentrate on learning (or relearning) ONE thing each day. That will keep you current.

Then research a question asked here every week or so. That will keep you sharp.

Jumbo744
6th Feb 2012, 04:24
very good idea, thank you !

FullWings
6th Feb 2012, 07:34
At 40W in the middle of the night during a heavy month, I think it's quite possible to know less than nothing!

Denti
6th Feb 2012, 08:07
Wouldn't think anyone is required to know everything. However having a good idea where to read up on it is usually considered a good thing. EFBs sometimes help with it as one can quite often let the computer do the search for some specific detail. In some cases however it really isn't all that brilliant, manual part of the lido eroutemanual anyone?

G&T ice n slice
6th Feb 2012, 12:22
Have a look at:
conscious competence learning model matrix- unconscious incompetence to unconscious competence (http://www.businessballs.com/consciouscompetencelearningmodel.htm)

unconscious competence

the skill becomes so practised that it enters the unconscious parts of the brain - it becomes 'second nature'
common examples are driving, sports activities, typing, manual dexterity tasks, listening and communicating
it becomes possible for certain skills to be performed while doing something else, for example, knitting while reading a book
the person might now be able to teach others in the skill concerned, although after some time of being unconsciously competent the person might actually have difficulty in explaining exactly how they do it - the skill has become largely instinctual
this arguably gives rise to the need for long-standing unconscious competence to be checked periodically against new standards

what next
6th Feb 2012, 12:36
Hello!

I would like to change that. Do you guys feel the same?

Sometimes yes. What really helps is instructing, because you will refresh your own memory constantly by explaining things to your students. Practical instructing I mean (not theory) because you only nead to teach them the important stuff.

And after some years on the job, you will find out what really is important and what can remain forgotten... Instead of constantly wasting time and brain capacity on the unimportant things, I leave those to google and try to learn as many completeley new things as possible that are not at all related to flying.

Machinbird
6th Feb 2012, 13:44
Speaking from personal experience only, the brain is practically unlimited in its capacity for information storage, but the ability to index and access this information takes effort in the form of study and using the information. Don't worry about "overloading" your memory, just concentrate on accessing the necessary information through exercises.

What you have to develop is a mental "pidgeon hole" system for the information before you can readily use it. Related information gets filed in association, and you get to determine the relationships. (At least that seems to be the way my head works.)

Later, as you get older, you will find that details of your knowledge and understanding leak away at a faster rate, but it is still available if you wish to exercise it, and you can still learn new stuff. :ok:

The preceding bit about unconscious competence refers to the skills we have integrated into ourselves. It is also the stuff that makes PIO a reality. Once you have learned this type of reaction, it stays with you a long time, for better or for worse.

Jumbo744
7th Feb 2012, 02:56
thank you all for your replies! It really helps :ok:

stilton
7th Feb 2012, 04:49
Of course, I do !

Seriously, what is most important is knowing what you NEED to know, this comes with experience, of course, continuing to learn and improving yourself constantly are IMHO the earmarks of a true professional Pilot.

nitpicker330
7th Feb 2012, 07:51
Trick question right??

No.

nitpicker330
7th Feb 2012, 10:40
The problem is people that think they know it all. :D

The rest of us continue learning each and every day.

Natstrackalpha
7th Feb 2012, 14:21
I don`t know.

Natstrackalpha
8th Feb 2012, 10:36
G T Ice and Slice

stages 1 and two could be accomplished, perhaps by throwing a massive test at the beginning of the course - before any instruction, class. this desired reult would have to be the same for all candidates or one or two may become somewhat disillusioned at the onset.

G&T ice n slice
8th Feb 2012, 11:41
Well, luckily for the aviation world I am just lowly groundstaff in (hawk spit) cargo (you know, the dirty building tucked away at the back of the airport behind the refuse tip).

I came across this in a training session, teaching me to 'suck eggs' coz I knowed it all don't I.

The trainer did exactly what you are suggesting, which we all thought was a waste of time. Until he pointed out that we had all done something that was against regulations, endangered the safety of the aircraft and was quite possibly a 'go direct to jail, do not pass go & do not collect $200' type offense.

(darned if I can remember what it was now)

Thing is that we paid a lot of attention for the rest of the 2 days...

I always found it useful to keep it in the back of the memory file, a sort of "Hold on a mo', half a tick, can I really actually know this? double check the manual"

grounded27
8th Feb 2012, 16:37
I suppose it depends on who you ask..:ugh: The safe mentality and truth is NO but you will be sure to find people who deny knowing everything carrying around an ego large enough to where they feel like they do, or damb close to it!!!

TopBunk
8th Feb 2012, 19:26
I hesitantly say this, but I think the answer is a guarded yes .....

You should know, without reference, what you need to know (eg QRH memory items, what ATC are instructing you to do, how to fly a given procedure, etc) and for non-critical things, know where to find the answer.

In other words, some things are time critical - these should be memorised (eg the QRH memory drills) others are not (refer to the appropriate material) - yes, tech knowledge is desirable, but should not be relied upon (eg subtle system differences between similar types - hydraulics between B737-200 and B737-400)

White Knight
8th Feb 2012, 19:49
I'd like to say YES... But I don't! I do know however know the 'Need to Know' stuff. FCIs and OEBs etc...

If you don't learn anything on the next flight you do - it's time to hang up your hemet and goggles and call it a day.

I've been flying for nearly 25 years and just encountered the worst turbulence of my life! I learnt something! Airbus makes a damn good autopilot - I couldn't see the instrument panel:ok::ok::ok::ok: but the 'Bus kept going:cool:

Brian Abraham
8th Feb 2012, 22:10
If I want to know anything I just ask the nearest teenager. They know everything don't they? So I'm told.