PDA

View Full Version : Airnav Pro

olicana
5th Feb 2012, 13:44
Does anyone on here have much experience of AirNav Pro?

I have downloaded the CAA vfr 1/2 mil map onto my ipad to run on airnav pro. Is there anyway I can copy that map from the ipad to use on my Windows Pc for flight planning etc?

It seems a bit silly if I have to pay for it on my ipad and then pay again to use on my Pc.

welkyboy
5th Feb 2012, 14:29
Why not use AirNav for your planning??

olicana
5th Feb 2012, 14:31
I take your point but I like to plan on my pc which has a much larger screen that I find easier to use.

Prop swinger
5th Feb 2012, 15:29
Seeing as you can import routes as gpx files, why not plan on Skydemon Light (http://www.skydemonlight.com/) & fly with Air Nav? Not a CAA chart but I would trust their airspace depiction more than Air Nav's.

BackPacker
5th Feb 2012, 15:31
The way iOS works is that every app lives in its own 'sandbox'. For security reasons, apps cannot access the sandboxes of other apps. They can only communicate with each other using certain defined channels, such as "Send To".

If you have data in an app such as Air Nav Pro, the only "official" way to get that data out is if the app supports sending it to another app. In which case you can send it to Dropbox, GoodReader or something else and send it to your PC from there. For obvious reasons (copyright, licensing), Air Nav Pro does not support that.

The unofficial way is to "jailbreak" your iPad. That will eventually allow you to install applications that can look in all sandboxes. It also may void, or limit, support/warranty from Apple. And if Air Nav Pro somehow stores its data in an encrypted or proprietary format, it may not help anyway.

The third way which I'm not entirely sure about, but which might work, is that iOS 5 apps are able to upload some or all of their data to the iCloud - essentially a huge Apple database on the internet. I don't know if Air Nav Pro does that for its maps data (my gut feeling tells me it doesn't, but I haven't checked) but if it does, you might be able to get the data from the iCloud via, for instance, iTunes or the iCloud website. I don't use iCloud myself though, so I can't help you further with that.

But seeing as Air Nav Pro makes a lot of money from selling maps, I am fairly certain that they've made it very hard for users to be able to use those maps outside of Air Nav Pro.

olicana
5th Feb 2012, 16:33
What about if I bought the map discs from memory map loaded them onto my Pc to use for planning etc. Would I then be able to transfer the maps onto my ipad to use them in airnav pro.

I have tried this with some two year old mm charts I have on my pc to see if it will work and I have not had any joy.

It seems like such a con that I have to pay for the chart twice to use in two different programs.

Prop swinger
5th Feb 2012, 16:46
Memory Map have recently changed their free app so that you can transfer maps/charts from your desktop, through iTunes to the free app on your iThing & removed the paid app.

Apple have realised that there is no money in this for them & have pulled the MM app from the app store. MM have re-submitted a changed app but I don't know what the new terms & costs might be.

You can still plan flights using MM and export the routes as a gpx file (right click>save as) & import into Air Nav Pro.

olicana
5th Feb 2012, 18:19
Cheers Prop, useful as that is I presume I still cannot transfer the chart i bought through memory map and use in their program for planning to the airnav pro application on my ipad.

Prop swinger
6th Feb 2012, 10:50
AFAIK Airnav Pro has no import maps facility; you have to use their maps.

sharon mathew
14th Jul 2014, 02:47
hi, use skyvector to plan, and then copy the link to inavcalc then export via an email to airnav pro and then you can fly with it. it also gives a detailed flt plan.
i have been searching for a program which connect all of them. but inavcalc is all what i could find. and, there are programs like you can use google earth, with airspace loaded, change its properties to transparent, and alternatively you can use, maddy's google map to see 2d airspace on google map.

any questions please [email protected].
i am searching for a better version of this conversion if anyone could help me on that please help. :) thanks

zudhir
11th Oct 2014, 11:57
I'm looking for advice on how to import waypoint & airspace data from another user to my android tab.

Anyone done this before? Thanks in advance.