PDA

View Full Version : Flypast Eligibility for Bomber Command Vet

Mr-Burns
5th Feb 2012, 11:12
Chaps. Bit of a sad thread I'm afraid but here goes anyway. My father was with Bomber Command & Coastal Command throughout the war (WOP/AG) on Lancasters, Wellingtons and Halifax bombers. Unfortunately he is now on his last legs and is terminally ill - I think its only a matter of days and I'm just getting all my ducks in a row now. Does anybody know if he will be eligible for an RAF flypast at his funeral?

I dont even know if there is such a thing as eligibility for a flypast. I know that he could have one if was still serving but I was wondering if his war service would mean anything.

Sorry to waffle but I know how much it would mean to him.

Mr B

Pontius Navigator
5th Feb 2012, 11:45
Mr B, eligible, probably not, possible, may be.

If you are not off the beaten track and can establish a rapport with a suitable airfield you might just be able to arrange something. It would also depend on exactly where you wanted the flypast. If it was in the centre of town then it would probably be a no-no. If it was largely open countryside and near and airfield then it might be possible.

Icare9
5th Feb 2012, 16:22
Sorry to hear the news.
Is he at all mobile or "with it"?
if so, and before the end, would it be possible for him to visit either the RAF Museum at Hendon, the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, Duxford or the Yorkshire Air Museum?
He'd have a last chance to view things that he might have flown and might unlock a few more precious memories for you.
I don't know if that's a viable alternative; if not, then PN's suggestions may be your best bet.
I hope you have a few enjoyable last days and that whatever you manage to arrange is a fitting tribute.

Tinribs
5th Feb 2012, 16:34
Im sorry your dad is on his final approach but he seems to have lasted well

In my time 1964 1984 we were able to meet these requests at a squadron level, they were generally called Old Boy Jobs. They were actually very good training as you had to find a small place and fly past over the correct route at exactly the right time.

The problem, as with many other nice gestures, is that they can be missunderstood by those only to happy to find fault. Our masters have become fed up with defending, on human grounds, the accusations of those who are only interested in the narrow aspect.

I wish you luck with the flypast, it is clearly well deserved. If you have details of a squadron on which he served and it still exists that might be good starting point

airsound
5th Feb 2012, 16:49
Mr B - much sympathy.

BBMF may be able to help. If you can be somewhere near a planned air display, or the route to and from, they may be able to do a flypast for your dad.

In 2010, they did a stunningly wonderful set of flypasts over the site of my uncle's death during the Battle of Britain. He died flying a Hurricane on 257 Sqn, and this was to commemorate the 70th anniversary of his death. They were en route from the Clacton Air Show. My family, and I, were utterly blown away.

Don't be distracted by the name BBMF - they also, of course, include the Lancaster, and are heavily involved with the Lincs Lanc Association.

It might not work specifically for a funeral, but maybe a memorial occasion somewhere appropriate?

Try the BBMF website Welcome to the BBMF - Contacts (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/contacts.cfm)

My salaams and deep thanks to your dad

airsound

A2QFI
5th Feb 2012, 17:02
I have managed it twice but this was a lot of luck and a bit of "Who do you Know" Where are you working from? I realise that this isn't what you are asking about but in these circumstances I am sure you will find an RAF Station who would host a visit. Possibly helpful to you and some useful but sensitive press coverage for them.

airsound
5th Feb 2012, 17:18
Just noticed - for mr B Senior, and everyone else
BBC1 Sun night 5 Feb 2100 Bomber Boys
Colin and Ewan McGregor explore Bomber Command, a rarely-told story from World War II. The film focuses primarily on the men who fought and died in the skies above occupied Europe. Also in HD. [AD,S]
Length1 hour 30 mins News & Documentaries, War Documentaries
airsound

johnnypaveway
5th Feb 2012, 17:34
Northolt 8766 : SO1 Ceremonial - he may be able to help

Mr-Burns
5th Feb 2012, 17:35
Dear All. Thanks very much for the kind words re my dad and for the advice. I'm in the South and I'm ex 230 / 33 so I might make some calls to the boys at Benson - sounds like a perfect opportunity for a TOT Training Trip in a Puma.

Thanks again for the responses - outstanding as usual.

Mr B

Green Flash
5th Feb 2012, 17:54
Mr B
I see it says you are in the Swindon area on your profile. Maybe someone from a secret Oxfordshire airbase could throw in an extra wide circuit or very long finals or extended downwind leg or long slow climbout that could fit the bill?

VIProds
6th Feb 2012, 09:42
Mr B
As previously stated, it might be worth contacting the BBMF. A very good friend of mine who flew photo rece in Spitfires down the occupied French coast (you might have read about him in a previous thread) celebrated his 90th Birthday with a BBMF PR Spitfire doing three low passes over his house.

mmitch
6th Feb 2012, 09:53
The BBMF are on Winter servicing at the moment. Only the Dakota or a Chipmunk airworthy according to their website.
mmitch.

wingz5000
6th Feb 2012, 10:37
If the military boys cannot come to the party, may I suggest an enquiry to your local aero-club, they maybe able to come up with a"missing man " formation flypast for a price.

Good luck, and so many thanks to your hero Dad for his job well done. Bomber Harris's boys were never really accorded the hero status they deserved such as were " The Few"

Mr-Burns
16th Mar 2012, 08:18
Chaps,

Unfortunately my dad didn't survive this last sortie and he passed away recently. He was given a great send-off which was made truly memorable by the presence of a trumpeter from the Central Band of the RAF. Everybody remarked on how appropriate it was and how it added to the day.

Many thanks to all those who gave advice in this thread. Seems the RAF can still do some things right.

Dad would have been proud. Thanks chaps,

Mr B

Whenurhappy
16th Mar 2012, 08:24
Mr Burns,

a very touching post and I'm sure there wasn't a dry eye when the trumpeter did his bit, and it's gratifying to hear that the RAF could assist in some way.

WP

anita gofradump
17th Mar 2012, 12:35
I feel that we are missing a trick here. Are there any lists of surviving WWII aircrew kept? (I am thinking particularly of crews from Bomber Command, who have put up with a lack of recognition for their crucial part in the war.)