PDA

View Full Version : Crew Scheduler a first step to flight dispatcher?

dirt_diver
4th Feb 2012, 00:10
Hi to all,

I'm currently flight dispatcher in one of the ground handling companies and I do have flight dispatcher's license. However, the airline company is currently hiring for crew controller. The question is, Is it a good idea to apply for the said position rather to wait for flight dispatcher vacancy?or a good start to in the airline?

guys your answer and a piece of advice is highly appreciated!:ok:

Grasscarp
6th Feb 2012, 15:03
I would think it is not a good move to go in as crew controller if you really want dispatch. If you are good at the role they wont want you to move in a hurry. If you are not good they wont want you at all. That's just my opinion. Better to be honest and tell them that you want a dispatch role and can they let you know if and when there may be a vacancy.

dirt_diver
6th Feb 2012, 23:33
Thanks! appreciate a lot..I think Im just too anxious to be in an airline. maybe I just need to think more than twice. :ok:

desertopsguy
17th Feb 2012, 10:12
I'm assuming you are talking about flight dispatch, the international definition of the term as opposed to the UK variation which is ramp dispatch; the two are not the same.

In any OCC I've come across, the reporting structure for crew control, ops control and flight dispatch tends to be ultimately through the same person. Either an Ops manager, an Ops director or ultimately a COO. You might have a supervisor who you would directly report to but the person who manages the department will make the ultimate decisions on hiring, promoting etc.

My point is this; if you have a flight dispatch licence and you are presented with an opportunity to work in an airline crew control position, then it is highly likely that your boss will be the same person who is responsible for the flight dispatchers. Do a good job as a crew controller and you are in a good position to promote yourself as a candidate for flight dispatch. 99% of the time they share the same office anway so everyone would already know you.

I've taken many ex-crew controllers into flt dispatch and it works just fine. It is also easier to replace crew controllers than flt dispatchers in my experience so I'll always promote from within when I can. It is also common in many companies that have unions :yuk: to insist on promotion from within.

It really depends on the airline and the pay structure. Crew control is usually a step up from the ramp and a step up is a step up, whichever way you look at it.

Good luck.

D.O.G