PDA

View Full Version : NDB/VOR Tracking in unknown wind

3rd Feb 2012, 13:35
Gday guys,

Could anybody give advice on how to 'correctly' track to or from an NDB/VOR with an unknown wind vector? Im trying to get this down-pat before i commence my IR. I dont have any issues with intercepts/tracking in nil wind.

Cheers!

taxi_driver
6th Feb 2012, 00:17
If you have zero information about the wind all you can do is to establish the aircraft on the radial or track, watch the behaviour of the needle or cdi, and alter the heading of the aircraft to suit. From that you can approximate a wind direction that may prove useful if you subsequently change track or radial.

In many cases there is some information available about the wind, that you can use. Take an atis from a nearby airfield, double the surface wind, and +/- 30 degrees as appropriate, will give an approximate 2-3000ft wind. Modern nav avionics will often display a wind vector as well ie: Garmin 1000.

Jumbo744
6th Feb 2012, 03:15
just keep the needle centered and apply corrections depending on how it moves, no need to over think about it. Also don't forget that many times the winds forecasted will be very different than the actual winds.

Arm out the window
6th Feb 2012, 03:40
Once you've established a heading that keeps you on the bearing, you can work out the crosswind using this:

Drift angle x groundspeed in nm/min = crosswind component in kt.

Handy for wind awareness in the absence of any other info.