PDA

View Full Version : VERY SAD

SimCity
3rd Feb 2012, 03:31
National News, Couple to fight IKEA assault verdict | 7DAYS (http://www.7days.ae/article/news/national/couple-fight-ikea-assault-verdict-32684)

fluffy5
3rd Feb 2012, 06:10
Very sad indeed. I remember reading about it when it first happened back then. Unfortunately with these occurences really does shed a poor light on the emirati justice system, and the culture that aspires to be 1st world.

fluffy5

BeCareful
3rd Feb 2012, 07:47
Imagine if it were the other way around - 3 Canadian men against local man and his 8 month pregnant wife. Same scenario...

I think there'd be a firing squad mentioned in the verdict.

Ben_Al_Katre
3rd Feb 2012, 09:27
This will set a terrible and dangerous example for the young and not so young emiraties. Thanks to this verdic, they will be encouraged to beat the sh&^% out of the expats cuz at the end of the day, nothing really will happen to them. It's time to call Don Corleone and make them an offer they won't refuse!!!!!:E:E:E

Old King Coal
3rd Feb 2012, 11:25
And compare that sentence to the one meted out to this young lad:

National News, Teen in trouble for kissing girls | 7DAYS (http://www.7days.ae/article/news/national/teen-trouble-kissing-girls-32614)

and also reported here:

Boy, 15, is jailed for THREE YEARS by UAE court for kissing 2 sisters | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2094380/Boy-15-jailed-THREE-YEARS-UAE-court-kissing-2-sisters.html)

Jetaim
3rd Feb 2012, 13:11
You won't imagine how relieved I'm of not being there anymore. No amount of money and no career can repay the total loss of even the most basic rights that you suffer when migrate to those sad shores. Shall we leave world aviation to fall in their hands?

Bindair Dundat
4th Feb 2012, 04:06
Jetaim, I couldn't agree more. The country is a disgrace when it comes to judicial matters...well lots more things but that is a whole other thread. Beating a pregnant woman....what kind of unsocialized, barbaric miscreants this society creates. You could not pay me enough money to drive those same roads ever again and rub shoulders with their pristine white dishdasha.
So, so, so glad to be gone :D

Turkeyslapper
4th Feb 2012, 08:12
Whilst I am not the president of the I love Dubai fan club (yes I still live here, and yes I find plenty of things which really grip my s%&t), unfortunately this punishment is probably not too far off what would be given in Australia. For example....last year, a family in a shopping centre food court was attacked for no apparent reason by a group of thugs....the father was beaten and whilst on the ground they continued with a chair...their punishment was a slap on the wrist, a stern don't do it again or else and thats about it.

So, as frustrating as it is, these instances of spineless and inappropriate punishments are not unique to the UAE. Sad state of affairs really.

Cheers

CAYNINE
4th Feb 2012, 11:15
Ah yes but that is the difference in Australia...... foreigners are protected and can do nearly anything with impunity. The locals there have to wear the imported crap.

Nemisis25
4th Feb 2012, 12:00
Id hunt the F$%^ers down and lay a beating on them. Then hop a flight home, for good.

paokara
5th Feb 2012, 01:15
thats shows how F--- up country UAE is...

The Iranians are coming, hide m--- f---s

Cam32
5th Feb 2012, 01:34
I think that is a pretty poor comment. I know a lot of Iranians. They are good people. Just the leadership is crap like most places.

Agreed the locals that have done this deserve a lot more.

The young dude in auh that got busted in the girls place, there must be a lot more to this story.

oldpax
5th Feb 2012, 04:09
Same in Thailand ,try getting in a fight with a thai(no matter what your age)and you will have twenty or so raring to beat the s... out of a foreigner and they will get away with it.

Lance Murdoch
5th Feb 2012, 11:51
Although not an ex pat I am a frequent business traveller to Dubai spending on average about eight weeks per year there. Ive never really had a bad experience there except for the odd cocky local mouthing off (probably because they know that the police will back them up) which I tend to let wash over me and view as an occupational hazard. I also realise that being a white Englishman I dont see 1/10 of the :mad: that those with a darker skin and the wrong passport have to contend with.

Whilst I dont think there is much the UK or any other foreign country can do to interfere in the justice system there I would suggest that one way we may be able to focus the UAE governments minds on the discrimination against foreigners there would be to keep a record of the protagonists such as those who attacked the Canadian couple and should they travel abroad then they are arrested on arrival for the offence and tried and sentenced for the crime properly.

I will say that Ive also known and worked with many Emiratis who are good people but unfortunately every society has its thug element and fair share of idiots. The problem in the UAE and some other neighbouring states is that they get backed by the law.

paokara
5th Feb 2012, 22:17
iranians are good people indeed.

Nearly Man
6th Feb 2012, 13:23
Didn't know you could book a table at IKEA? That's what I call CLASS :}

QatarA340
8th Feb 2012, 07:11
very sad indeed

Greg Kelly Rape Case: No Charges Will Be Filed Against New York Police Commissioner's Son

NEW YORK -- Prosecutors say the New York Police Department commissioner's son won't face charges in connection to a rape accusation.

Greg Kelly Rape Case: No Charges Will Be Filed Against New York Police Commissioner's Son (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/07/greg-kelly-rape-case-no-c_n_1261441.html)

What a crappy legal system in the US! A rapist is set free. Wait! remember OJ? Thats a differenent story.

:)

Wizofoz
8th Feb 2012, 08:20
QatarA340,

Much as I think a lot of the posts above are unfair, as no legal system is perfect, it proves nothing that you can find one case where there was insufficient evidence to make a charge stand. That's what happens in a legal system where guilt must be proved- and there was little doubt of guilt in the case this thread is about.

If you wanted to get into that sort of tit-for-tat I could take your OJ (For which there were no witnesses) and raise you an Abu Dhabi Prince torturing an Iranian (for which there was a video!!!).

AT LEAST these guys were convicted and will do some jail time.Not enough, and, no, probably not as much as an Expat might expect for the same crime.

BUT if they are first time offenders they would probably have gotten off with a suspended sentence in a Western country.

QatarA340
8th Feb 2012, 08:26
Wizofoz, that is exactly what I meant. I was being sarcastic here.

A lot of the posts above have to to critize everything in the UAE where they have the same problems in their own back yards. No legal system is perfect.

Now tell me, what is the point of posting this thread in the Pilots Forum? Can you even point out one good post about anything the Arabian Gulf?

Yes, I saw the sheik torturing the guy, the kid that got raped, but there will be always the child molester and the muder who is free somewhere in the US. Craziness exisits everywhere. But, Im not trying to have a tit for tat, but just to show how stupid, one-sided this thread adn the thread-starter is.