PDA

View Full Version : RV's in/near Toowoomba

havick
3rd Feb 2012, 00:58
Just wondering if anyone knows of or has any contact details of anyone who owns an RV7 or RV8 in or around Toowoomba, even Archerfield?

I'm just deciding whether to go the RV7 or RV8 but I'd like to see / sit in both of them to compare before comitting.

Feel free to PM me or post details on here.

Cheers, James

Jabawocky
3rd Feb 2012, 02:04
Building or building?

We have plenty of both in our patch....you know what to do;)

havick
3rd Feb 2012, 04:33
Hi Jaba. Yep going to build.

Personally I prefer the in-line seating of the RV8 but I'd like to see it in comparison of the side by side seating the RV7 offers.

I'd also like to compare the useable baggage space etc.

Going to kit it out with autopilot (ie single pilot IFR) with long range tanks (I'm fairly young so bladder range shouldn't be a problem WRT fuel endurance).

Would be nice to have the ability to go YBOK/YTWB to YMMB on one tank of go-juice (weather / alternate dependant of course).

KRviator
3rd Feb 2012, 05:25
Juuuussstt in case you haven't seen it, havick, check out the Vans Airforce (http://www.VansAirForce.com). This bloke (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=1373) has a flying -7A in Brissy you might be able to try on for size. And this bloke (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=4836) an in-progress -8, also in Brisbane. And this one (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/member.php?u=6288) has a QB-9A in progress in Toowoomba. Given the -7 and the -9 essentially share the same fuselage, if you want to stay local he might be able to help you out.

I've got a -9A I'm making steady progress on, am 6'5" and around 85Kg, and fit in my -9 with room to spare. Though I am yet to fit the canopy....

Jabawocky
3rd Feb 2012, 05:40
That first 7A is the one I did the test flying on.

Very nicely built indeed :ok::ok:

I think you need to come to see some 6,7,8 and 10 of course at SEQ RV central.

dazza38
3rd Feb 2012, 06:02
Hi Havick, I have flown in a RV7 and have had a realy good look at a RV 8.There is a bloke nearly finished his 8 not far from where I live.I realy enjoyed the 7 but it is cosy with 2 aussie blokes sitting beside each other.I have not been in a 8 but I like the tandem seating.There appears to be plenty of room in the front.

BronteExperimental
3rd Feb 2012, 08:29
I have about 300hrs on my -7. Absoluteley love it. :ok:

About 60-70% of that has been solo, so I sometimes wish that id built an 8 instead.

However, plenty of times the co-pilot has been 100kg+ and in and out of short (400m) strips.

I believe an -8 with heavy pax would be more of a handful than a -7 for short field work, as at the aft cg limit you can get neutral longitudinal stability (or negative) so need to wheel them to be consistent.

Also, the pax seat in the 7 when solo is great for all your maps/ipad/phone/camera/food/dog/bike etc....

Probably splitting hairs. I don't know anyone unhappy with either!

Tip up or slider?:}

Cheers.
BE

metalman2
3rd Feb 2012, 09:45
mmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like a really cool club ,, I should get my finger out and join up!!

havick
3rd Feb 2012, 10:00
Thanks for the info guys (and PM's).

Have been in touch with Jabawocky and will be having a look at both sometime soon..

Cheers all.

Jack Ranga
3rd Feb 2012, 11:10
If you like your missus build the 7, if you don't like her build the 8. Come to think of it, by the time you're finished it you'll be divorced so it wont matter anyway.........

gassed budgie
3rd Feb 2012, 12:49
Come to think of it, by the time you're finished it you'll be divorced so it wont matter anyway.........
.......that being the case, what you need is one of these.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7352/rl01.jpg

Still waiting on Vans to at least do a pre-punched skin kit for the fuselage and tail kits. Come on guys, do me a favour....

Arnold E
4th Feb 2012, 00:11
The RV7&8 share some common parts, the wing for instance. Range and performance roughly the same, (8 is very slightly faster) if the 7 has a tip up canopy, the vision from them is about the same, 7 with a slider not quite as good. As for carrying luggage, the 7 wins hands down for room to put it. It is actually a quite large area.:ok:

Wally Mk2
4th Feb 2012, 00:21
'GB' now that's what every man needs, a single seater to get away from the missus!:ok: Beats me why one would actually want her along anyway but the in-line seating is a trade-off I guess:ok:
I think I'll go do a Google search on RV's as there seems to be a real following of this little cult plane (or in 'Bloggsies' case 'Aeroplane':})

Wmk2

27/09
4th Feb 2012, 01:47
In my book RV's are the best homebuilt aircraft bar none!!!!

Flown the 4 and 6. Both very very nice to fly and hard to tell the difference in flying qualities. The tandem 4 has sex appeal, the side by side 6 has practicality.

The 7 replaced the 6, not sure that there's much difference between the two of them, the 8 is basically a tandem 7. The 8 looks great and I imagine has plenty of room beside the seats for pockets/bins to put maps etc.

Having room on the seat beside you to place maps etc when solo and having you pax beside you is far more sociable so while I like the sex appeal of the 4 and 8 I'd probably go for the 7, but then again......

Arnold E
4th Feb 2012, 02:11

Have to agree, and so do a lot of other people. 7594 kits built and flying as of today. Many more kits still in the construction phase.:ok:

Jack Ranga
4th Feb 2012, 04:18
I reckon mine will be about number 8000 :D

metalman2
4th Feb 2012, 05:37
I reckon by the time I get my 6 in the air it should fit into the Antique aircraft scene pretty good!!!

Fred Gassit
4th Feb 2012, 06:38
I'll get mine finished more quickly too if bloody work and family would just leave me alone.

Arnold E
4th Feb 2012, 09:24
I reckon by the time I get my 6 in the air it should fit into the Antique aircraft scene pretty good!!!

I know exactly how you feel.:sad:
Jack, you had better get going pretty quick if you want that magic number, coz 7594 represents the number of finished RV's and the numbers are moving along fast, I take it that you have an RV already under construction? what is it?:)

metalman2
4th Feb 2012, 10:16
got the wings and tail for an RV6 close to done , the rest of the kit (finish and fuse) are sitting in the workshop mocking me as we write. We did a move to Vic last year and the previous I did a resto on a rag n tube aircraft, so this year is the "YEAR OF THE SIX" ,,,,unless I can get that PA20 project cheap,,,,mmm nah it'll be the RV,,,,
Actually I have got what was my airplane spot in the shed clear of customers sh!t now so the RV is looking good to take it's place in the workshop,,,gotta track down a rivet buddy in the east Melbourne area ,and an RV to put time in , I was using a mates one in QLD for a while and it really gets you keen when you can put stick time in one ,they really are the coolest aircraft!

metalman2
4th Feb 2012, 10:27

Flown the 4 and 6. Both very very nice to fly and hard to tell the difference in flying qualities. The tandem 4 has sex appeal, the side by side 6 has practicality.

The 7 replaced the 6, not sure that there's much difference between the two of them, the 8 is basically a tandem 7. The 8 looks great and I imagine has plenty of room beside the seats for pockets/bins to put maps etc.

Having room on the seat beside you to place maps etc when solo and having you pax beside you is far more sociable so while I like the sex appeal of the 4 and 8 I'd probably go for the 7, but then again......

The big difference between the 6 and the 7 is the wings, longer on the 7 and the vertical fin is bigger on the 7, there's a lot of differences under the skin but the above stuff is pretty much the most obvious , cowls and fire wall are the same fuse looks similar but has minor differences, you can't get a pre punched fuse for the 6( although I think you can get pre-punched wing skins for the 6),I've flown both (more in the six) and the 6 is snappier in the roll rate but the 7 is nicer in a bit of chop, there's also the issue with the spin recovery on the 6, I will spin mine but I'll be a looooong way up there when I start

Arnold E
4th Feb 2012, 11:01
cowls and fire wall are the same

Similar, not the same, shape and construction are different on both.:ok:

metalman2
4th Feb 2012, 11:22
really, I haven't looked at my firewall for a while but I thought it had a 7 part number, I think there's a option for a recess due to a different carb? mags? what are you building Arnold and are you in the melb area?

Arnold E
4th Feb 2012, 11:25
No, in Adelaide building a 7, currently helping rebuild a 6 that I used to have a share in.

metalman2
4th Feb 2012, 11:29
do you know jake jansen, he's had a bit to do with some RV's a mate of mine helped out on

Arnold E
4th Feb 2012, 11:39
Yep I know Jake.

Jabawocky
4th Feb 2012, 22:23
He mostly helps in keeping electrons going in the right places at the right times. Arnold seems to have that under control by his pics, nice work too :ok:

Jack Ranga
4th Feb 2012, 23:44
I take it that you have an RV already under construction? what is it?

Yep, RV10, slow build kit (and I'm slow builder :ugh:) all of the tail is done including the tailcone. Wings are nearly done with some long range tanks built in :} the fuselage is almost at quick build stage but I alodined and primed EVERYTHING!!

Oshkosh this year there will be an engine purchase and the one and only Jaba and I will be finalising a panel design soon (IFR). It should be well on the way to finished by the end of the year, maybe flying by MAR 2013 :D

Arnold E
5th Feb 2012, 00:44
It should be well on the way to finished by the end of the year, maybe flying by MAR 2013 :D
Champion, sling us a few pics. I alodined and primed everthing as well, Archeologists will did my, (and by the sound of it your) aeroplane up in a 1000 years and it will still be good.:ok:

Jack Ranga
5th Feb 2012, 03:26
I couldn't live with meself if I didn't prime it all ;) , PM me your e-mail address and I'll throw a few piccies your way!

Wally Mk2
5th Feb 2012, 11:38
'AE' & 'Jack when the Archy boys dig yr planes up in a 1000 yrs all they will say is....christ look at the antiquated contraptions these people got around in way back then & on one engine to boot !!!! Brave they where:E

It will be like Marty Feldman's 'Sleeper' movie......he finds an old derelict VW Beetle in a cave in the year 2100 (or something like that) covered in dust where he opens the door turns the key & it starts !!!!!:E

Wmk2

VH-XXX
5th Feb 2012, 22:09
Don't let Jabba design your backup battery dual electron flux driver thing like what he has in his Retard 10. Once he leaves the scene you'll never get the thing started by yourself.

Jack Ranga
6th Feb 2012, 01:04
Gees Wally, you are losing the plot, I won't be flying the thing at night!

Don't let Jabba design your backup battery dual electron flux driver thing like what he has in his Retard 10. Once he leaves the scene you'll never get the thing started by yourself.

Jaba's 10 was the test build for my 10 :D:}:}:}:}

Jabawocky
6th Feb 2012, 03:45
Gees Wally, you are losing the plot, I won't be flying the thing at night!

Hhahahah year right :}

Jack Ranga
6th Feb 2012, 09:10
Well, maybe.......maybe not :}

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Feb 2012, 09:22
Don't let Jabba design your backup battery dual electron flux driver thing like what he has in his Retard 10. Once he leaves the scene you'll never get the thing started by yourself. Huh? I have always found Jaba's Retard Vehicle easy to start!

"Jaba! Start it"! :E

Dr :8

Jabawocky
6th Feb 2012, 09:57
HAHAHAHHAHAHA

I also find it easy to start................

.............And so does an old mate QF744 Captain, so it can't be that hard! :}

Hey wanna see some pure good looks, raw grunt and sex appeal. This is the video of the year. If it had a Hawker Hunter.....would be perfect :ok:

UHW-TA2ePXQ