PDA

View Full Version : How to become a licensed aircraft engineer

Decor58
2nd Feb 2012, 11:03
Hi all,

I'm in my final year of an aeronautical MEng course and currently looking at jobs. I've previously only thought about going into the RAF, all I've ever wanted to do, however their not actually hiring at the moment so I've been forced to consider other options.

One I've found appealing is working at East Midlands airport, working on fleet maintenance and certification, however the job require a B1/2 EASA licence. I've read a fair bit about the licence but cannot seem to find out how to obtain it.

So my question is, does anyone know how to obtain it?

NutLoose
2nd Feb 2012, 11:48
This is in the process of rework but should answer some of your questions

ELGD 2007: The Engineer's Licensing Guidance Document | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=2382)

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Feb 2012, 12:27
Decor, to a large extent you will be starting from scratch with your education again - this is a totally different training and qualification system to the MEng-->CEng system that you have gone through so far.

Don't look for the route from MEng to LAME. That route doesn't exist. The main crossovers are the words "aeroplane" and "engineer", the actual work is totally different to what your education has been pointing you at.

It'll probably take about as long as your degree has so far.

G

Fargoo
2nd Feb 2012, 18:24
Hi,
Genghis is right, the degree route is very different to the traditional LAE route. Normally graduates in aviation end up doing more Engineering type jobs rather than spannering jobs.

British Airways Graduate Jobs (http://www.britishairwaysgraduates.com/) - just a thought?

I know plenty of LAE's who have their degrees but most of the ones I know did it as mature students having worked through the Apprentice > Mechanic > Technician > LAE route first.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go, we certainly need some fresh blood in the system!

Fargoo
2nd Feb 2012, 18:32
Try this link instead

British Airways Graduate Jobs (http://www.britishairwaysgraduates.com/the-programmes/engineering-graduate-programme/)

banditb6
2nd Feb 2012, 18:59
The RAF generally seem to be hiring for Mechanical and Avionic technicians every 6 months or so, I was very close to joining just before the SDSR and thought it could be a mistake to join only to find myself jobless 1-2 years later with no qualifications. Although it would of been a good experience.
Regarding your current situation did see that the RVL group at east midlands airport were looking for trainee engineers?

ironchefflay
3rd Feb 2012, 00:34
Im a B1.3 holder. to get a B1/B2 would take 5 years min from scratch. you may get some time off that for having your degree but i wouldnt bet on it. its next to impossible to get into without gaining an apprenticeship first or military service as an aircraft fitter.

If its what you want to do, then go for it but i suspect it wouldnt be what you are looking for. its not a job you can easily fall into.

gr4techie
4th Feb 2012, 18:47
Decor58, I'm a techie currently in the RAF having done more than 12 years. I would not recommend my job. In my opinion there is NO incentive to be a techie in the RAF any more.

The days of entering straight as a technician are long gone. Now you have the AMM scheme, a few months training then you're just a grease monkey doing nothing but refuelling and kicking tyres for the first 2 years on the lowest pay band. Some of the most mentally challenged, immature, lazy kids I have ever met got through the selection and training with just a 50m swimming badge from school and became AMM's. You'll won't do proper engineering for maybe 3 years? Trust me it sounds you can do better.

People with my quails and experience... Sign the aircraft documentation to certify that after fault rectification and funcs, the primary flying controls are serviceable and will not kill anyone... And in return, get paid the same as the cook who heats a pre-made chicken and mushroom pie in the oven for 20 minutes !!!

Most RAF techies I know are leaving early to work off-shore gas and oil.

Wmn
7th Feb 2012, 22:23
Decor, after my uni studies in aeronautics I realized Im no desktop engineer. Got an apprenticeship with an airline and worked my way up. Of course you will have to pass all the required EASA modules and gain 5 yrs of experience to finally get a license. It's not impossible, today I'm licensed!

Ask yourself if you think you can kinda enjoy to get cold, hot, wet, dirty, stressed, soaked in any fluid you can think of and of course be handy with tools. If yes, go for it!

Decor58
3rd May 2012, 11:05
Thanks for all the replies guys, had a thought on what many of you have said and I don't think I could be done with starting all over again with my education. I'm going to continue looking for a grad scheme I think

Thanks for the advice

monster3011
5th May 2012, 01:41
I was in the same shoes as you couple years ago. After which I enrolled in Part 147 organisation where I am taking my Part 66 exams. If you think Aerospace was hard..wait till you do these exams! - not mathematically as challenging but a tight schedule and high pass mark really puts the pressure on.

Graduate schemes are good and most people who do work in the airline industry tend to do their exams privately (CAA Exam centres) or an airline would normally run the course internally which means you could take the exams while you work!

This in itself is quite hard as the work load is alot and i cannot imagine doing these exams while working,not to say people havent in the past.

So I would suggest, you enrol yourself in a two year course and do the exams before looking for work. As I am finding out, alot more companies will be happy to interview you.

You will be working for the rest of your life, so do all the exams and get your stuff together before your look for work.

Good luck.