PDA

View Full Version : A few questions from a newbee...

TheFirstDohrnPilot
2nd Feb 2012, 09:56
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has been to Stapleford Flight Centre? It seems to be a reasonably priced FTO and the reviews are generally good. But it would be great if I could hear from someone with first-hand experience, because these accounts seem to be much more honest :)

And then also, does anybody know of any good FTO's on continental Europe (which won't cost me an insane amount of money! :*) Haha

Thanks! ;)

AndoniP
2nd Feb 2012, 15:53
continental europe is quite big. you're going to have to be a bit more specific.

and as others will tell you, there are loads of comments about stapleford if you use the search function above.

pudoc
2nd Feb 2012, 16:19
I'm at SFC. Accommodation is very nice, any issues will be fixed straight away. The course co-ordinator will bend over backwards for you, whatever you need she'll try her best for you. Very nice atmosphere, staff from instructors to receptionists are all very friendly. Most of them have been there for many many many years, obviously some of the PPL instructors are new and have come straight out of training but they are still good. They have maintenance at the field so any problems with aircraft are usually fixed pretty quickly depending on the problem obviously. They have a nice student car too which helps getting to the shops and that, it's not free but I think you have to pay a few pennys per miles.

I got through my PPL in about 6 weeks full time and that's including days off and weather cancellations. As I said, a lot of the instructors there are there to be instructors not to build hours, and there are engineers there who I recognise from the mid 1990s so it's very much a school where staff are there for the long term.

Nobody will hold your hand through it, instructors are always asking if you need help or have any questions but you have to go away from the lesson and put work in. Re-read what you learnt, read what you're gonna learn next lesson. You could probably get away without doing this but trust me the instructors know if your lazy, they'll still help you but they probably won't go the extra mile for you like they did for me and others who put 100% into it. A lot of people have the attitude the PPL is just a chore to do to get onto the real flying, but the PPL is the most important part IMO.

Hardly any negatives, one would be my lesson times got changed and nobody told me, only happend once though.

Keep an extra eye out when Alan Sugar is flying in his Cirrus. That man seriously lacks airmanship! :rolleyes:

Not sure what else to say except to go there and look about.

Edit: forgot to mention that all your skills tests can be done from Stapleford, previously you would have to fly to Cranfield, pick up an examiner and then do it but the examiners come to you now. PPL Examiners and CPL 170A are in house staff.

CadetPilot
2nd Feb 2012, 18:06
Don't personally know much, but have 2 friends training there and they have nothing but good things to say.
They did complain about accommodation a bit.
Other than that they say the standard of training is extremely good, nice instructors, etc.

Good Luck!

TheFirstDohrnPilot
4th Feb 2012, 12:02
Thanks guys. Great post pudoc, really gives me a good feeling about this FTO. Thanks a lot! :}
And CadetPilot, thanks too!

AndoniP, I guess Western Europe would interest me. Is that still too vague? And you're right, there are a lot of threads about Stapleford on PPRune indeed. Cheers.

Teejman
4th Feb 2012, 14:27
I have only (so far) for my PPL and IMC at Stapleford. I have a "career" instructor who is great. Only ever had 1 A/C go tech and was put into another right away with no problems. Would recommend it.

Flaymy
8th Feb 2012, 14:57
Never been to Stapleford, but flown with pilots who trained there. They were good.

TheFirstDohrnPilot
10th Feb 2012, 09:45
Sounds great guys :)

aviationdreams91
30th Aug 2012, 20:43
I went up last week and visited the place its pretty good ! the stuff at the reception were friendly , i met a CPL instructor who talked to me a bit she was realy friendly also , And i went with an instructor showing me around the facilities and all looks nice and extremly professional and all the instructors i met were willing to help and answer my questions.
I havn't flown with them yet except once for a leisure flight in a 152 couple of years ago .I have full FAA CPL ME with IR and want to fly with them and convert my lisences to JAA/EASA ! :)

TheFirstDohrnPilot
31st Aug 2012, 08:46
That's good to hear! And good luck.
I think I have decided to go for SFC... We'll see how it turns out. :)

B2N2
31st Aug 2012, 12:36
Having read your other thread which got locked...DON'T.
Get yourself a decent education first before you throw yourself at flight training.
Nothing personal but if you are like most 17 year olds you don't have the stamina or the maturity to get through a professional pilot course.
Start with glider flying or join a local club and do your PPL.

TheFirstDohrnPilot
31st Aug 2012, 13:32
Yeah that is kinda annoying. I think you're right, but i have already chosen my subjects and theyre pretty much the ones ghengis said not to do, but i cant. Change them now so... What can i do? Also there are no flying clubs where i live so thats a shame, i would love to do some gliding and stuff! :(