PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Army cancels exercise due to record high QNH of 1057

dcoded
1st Feb 2012, 18:02
An article in Swedish, which you can translate with google.

Monday 30th of Jan the Swedish army canceled a big exercise involving their JAS39 due to too high airpressure. The QNH was 1057!

Jas klarar inte vackert väder - NyTeknik (http://www.nyteknik.se/popular_teknik/teknikrevyn/article3396610.ece)

captplaystation
1st Feb 2012, 18:53
W.T.F. :ugh: Oh well, if Putin gets back in power he will just have to monitor the weather when he decides to re-invade Latvia/Lithuania/ Estonia. . . what do you mean I am joking :hmm:

twochai
1st Feb 2012, 20:17
I thought I'd heard everything, but I cannot think of what would systems would be affected by high QNH, other than altimeters?? Do they not have a broad enough scale ob the cockpit pressure altitude guage, perhaps?

Major Attack
1st Feb 2012, 20:31
To put it simply, the speed and altitude will display correctly (meaning that they CAN fly if neccessary) but some of the warning systems has its parameters set so that such high pressure settings triggers varoius warnings.

As this was to be an exercise - they postponed everything to avoid taking unneccessary risks.

As for the current settings - should they be revised? Probably.
As for fending of Putin and his goons. The Swedish Airforce is not the worlds 3rd largest any longer and can probably not fight on its own (thanks to shortsighted politicians)

captplaystation
1st Feb 2012, 20:33
Most (civil) aircraft altimeter subscales go from 950/1050, but there exists a procedure for when it goes a bit high (or low) which my addled old brain doesn't recall.

Would have imagined Saab would have thought of that,given the high pressures seen in the North in Winter. No wonder they went bust, nice cars crap altimeters ?

Can't read Swedish, so can't elaborate, but sounds a bit Naf, maybe they just wanted to sit in the Sun & enjoy a "high pressure" ;) Beer ?

Edited to say, like Airbus, some "computer whizz kid" needs his ass kicked ?

Hope you are not too tiny, from what I read recently the Baltic states were kind of hoping to rope you & the Finnish in ,to provide a bit of an Eastern shield, if, god forbid, he lets his meglomania head West again rather than South East.

Major Attack
1st Feb 2012, 20:38
captplaystation :D!!

But don't confuse SAAB the automotive company with SAAB aviation.

The car company was own by GM (If I remember correctly) while SAAB Aviation is own by swedish investor firm Investor.

Edited to add: I'm sorry to say that the airforce, once the pride of a nation, is no longer anything but a playtool for the politicians to use in "international peacekeeping", and not for defending our own territory. Makes one sad.

captplaystation
1st Feb 2012, 20:59
Bean Counters :mad:

Screwed your Air Force

Screwed a company making (at one stage) innovative high quality cars

Screwing us all

Enjoy the Beer in the Sun, whilst marvelling at the world we live in :ok:

Harry the Hun
2nd Feb 2012, 06:35
Check your Flight Manual's Limitations section. Most Aircraft have an operational envelope starting at -1000 feet PA up to X-thousand feet PA. A QNH of 1057 gives you a PA of ~ -1500 feet.
That might be the reason.

Epiphany
2nd Feb 2012, 07:08
Read a NOTAM yesterday regarding this. ATC will only provide a QNH of highest 1049. So if the pressure is higher (currently 1060 in N Russia) then crews wil have to calculate the effect on the altimeter for MDH etc.

Fareastdriver
2nd Feb 2012, 15:33
At that sort of atmospheric pressure the beer will come out flat.

Rosevidney1
2nd Feb 2012, 17:24
More likely the beer will come flat out!

Wensleydale
2nd Feb 2012, 17:56
At last we have proof.... Pilots can't handle the pressure when it gets too much for them!

Flyingblind
2nd Feb 2012, 18:39
Boom tish! Wensleydale.

E-Spy
2nd Feb 2012, 20:19
Chances are, the Russians may have had a similar problem with their own QNH being >1065mb, sorry hPa ;)

Montezuma
2nd Feb 2012, 21:40
QFE? Would that work?

Llademos
3rd Feb 2012, 06:44
IIRC you can use QNE in these circumstances - the height of the runway on an altimeter with 1013 set. You effectively fly at flight levels all the time.

Ll