PDA

View Full Version : CASA Cyber exams....are they accurate???

Learjet-45
1st Feb 2012, 05:17
Hi There,

I took my CPL Navigation exam today only to be told I had failed.

The issue I have is I marked down on a bit of paper the answers that I 100% knew were correct my total of 100% sure answers came to a total of 27 marks this would have given a minimum of 67% and then a few I am not quite sure about and a handful I plan and simple didnt know.

so when I get the final score of 45% I am feeling robbed!

Is the system designed to fail students at the 1st attemp in order to gain and extra $150 from them when they resit?

any one else had issues with the cyber exams?

Bealzebub
1st Feb 2012, 05:53
No, I think they are designed to extract a minimum level of competence.

Yesterday you said: I took the the CASA CPL exam for Human Factors and Limitions today, but sadly after a tense wait for the exam result to come up it showed a FAIL and 68% so only a few marks off a pass.

Do you think there may be a clue?

Learjet-45
1st Feb 2012, 06:00
not trying to mug casa off, but I know I got a minimum of 67% so I think there may be something wrong, these exams are expensive, mayby there is a trick here, money spinner etc

Skillzpwnd
17th May 2012, 10:38
Did you appeal? the same happened to me today, I got 45% too but in Aerodynamics, seems bizarre because I know I passed. I never got less than 92% in 8 practice exams on the AFT site - I know it doesn't mean much but still.. I got over 80% in MET,General knowledge,Nav and human factors.. .. to jump to 45% in one of my more confident exams... Has anyone successfully appealed, I have a strong feeling I passed but have read a lot that CASA does not respond to appeals unless backed up by precise information.. I didn't even get a KDR because exam result was so low. Any help is appreciated

WannaBeBiggles
17th May 2012, 21:14
I have encountered a few questions which were marked wrong, but still passed so had no need to appeal. I've heard of people appealing, it costs money to have the exam re-marked, it doesn't guarantee a pass though. At 45% I highly doubt that you managed to get that many questions which had incorrect answers as I doubt there are more than a small handful, if any.

The trick with CASA exams is RTFQ (Read The F*&%ing Question) and spending time to decipher the question and make sure you know what it is actually asking, quite often you'll find a question that is SIMILAR to a question that you have encountered in your practice exams, but there may be a keyword which makes the true answer completely different.

You may be able to pass some exams by rote learning answers, but you're only really cheating yourself.

Nathan Higgins had a very good technique he suggested for his Systems class. If you go through a practice exam, be it an end of chapter one or a full one, don't just answer the questions, go back in to the text and look up that area and find the answer, even if you know it.