PDA

View Full Version : Australian SE Ops

SgtBundy
31st Jan 2012, 13:13
Having been watching all the various Alaskan and Canadian bush flying shows of late, and some of the operations they perform, got me wondering what is some of the interesting things out there happening in Oz? The Alaskan shows have a lot of off field hunting drops, wildlife surveys and the crazy herring spotting circus in Alaska Wing Men, so what are some of the different non-charter/tourist single engine operations down here?

Just curious what is out there. Some of the Alaska shows make it seem like half the state have a SE aircraft of their own and use them like utes or family cars - seems like an interesting way to live.

Cheers. ;)

Wanderin_dave
31st Jan 2012, 20:24
It's Birdscaring Season at the moment. There are guys scooting around at tree top height in Cherokees as you read this. Doing their best to keep crows and parrots off the almonds.

Often when I drop into Essendon I see a C185 on tundra tyres, would love to know what that's used for.

185skywagon
31st Jan 2012, 22:19
Often when I drop into Essendon I see a C185 on tundra tyres, would love to know what that's used for.
If it the one I am thinking of, it used to haul crabs and such out of remote NQ areas.
There is also a 180 in SEQ with the same setup.

Flying Binghi
1st Feb 2012, 02:54
There's a chap down Melbourne way that put them big tyres on a light twin. Apparently the aircraft operates off salt pans..;)

VH-XXX
1st Feb 2012, 03:51
There are no less than 8 new Carbon Super Cubs floating around Australia with up to 180 HP Lycomings and 600kg MTOW that must be doing something pretty impressive somewhere!

peterc005
1st Feb 2012, 04:07
Those Carbon Super Cubs look like fun planes. Very good bang for your buck last time I looked.

I'd guess they are used by private owners who like to fly to remote areas, rather than commercial operations.