PDA

View Full Version : petesmart

PETESMART
30th Jan 2012, 16:42
Hi, In common I suspect with many people whose parents served in the war I did not investigate very closely what they got up to,[ too busy enjoying myself as a student in the 60s].
My father, James StClair SMART joined BOAC as a radio officer at or just after the start of the war. He had previously done the same job at sea.
I know that for some of his wartime he flew out of Dyce and Leuchars and this included time on Mosquitoes and Lancastrians [civil Lanc?].
Unfortunately after the war he suffered from protracted ill health was grounded and spent the rest of his working life in ATC at Hurn [Bournemouth] before his early death in 1969.
I also have a letter sent to him by BOAC after the end of the war thanking him for his contribution to 'Scandinavian Ops'. Having read portions of the excellent but rather 'Swedish' book 'Blockade Runners' I would really like to try to pick up some thread of his wartime flying career. Maybe I have left it too late. However if anyone knows whether flight records of this period of RAF/BOAC 'collaboration' exist I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know.
Fingers Crossed
Pete Smart
[email protected]

DeepestSouth
30th Jan 2012, 22:00
If it is anything to do with Mosquitos, try the Forum on the Mossie Page at:

Phorum :: WWW.MOSSIE.ORG Discussion Forum (http://www.mossie.org/forum/list.php?1)

The wealth of knowledge on the Forum is incredible and they are VERY helpful indeed. You have to join the Forum but it's free! Good luck

Rollingthunder
30th Jan 2012, 23:02
Although 9 Lancasters were converted to Lancastrians in 1943, these were for Trans-Canada Airlines and used on the Montreal-Prestwick flights.

Lancastrians first went into operations for B.O.A.C. on May 31st 1945 operating England-Australia.