PDA

View Full Version : Aero Contractors Helicopter Ops

JAA/FAA Pilot
30th Jan 2012, 13:14
Hello all,
Is there anyone on here that is able to divulge some inside information on Aero Contractors in Nigeria, besides what is on their website?

There is some info on here, but it is all pretty old.

I very interested to hear about aircraft conditions, compound, working while there, transportation and anything else that might be interesting or a need to know if you might go work for them in Port Harcourt.

Where do they rate/compare to Bristow Nigeria?

Thanks for any valuable info!

soggyboxers
30th Jan 2012, 15:15
Aero rotary wing has now severed its former ties with former partner CHC and is making its way as an indigenous Nigerian company. They will be operating new EC135s for the Nigerian Petroleum Corporation, 2 of which have arrived already. They have 1 AW139 in Lagos on contract to Total and another 139 is due in country shortly. They have just added a VIP S76C+ to their fleet and more S76C+s reported on the way.
The aircraft they have look in good condition and they have just finished refurbishing a Dauphin. They have a large ramp with 2 hangars in Port Harcourt and accommodation is in a guarded compound with a staff house and rooms in a number of houses, all with en-suite rooms.

VFRIFR
1st Feb 2012, 09:33
Are they looking for AW139 or EC135 drivers? I have both. How much do they pay?

JAA/FAA Pilot
1st Feb 2012, 15:14
Aero Contractors Nigeria Ltd is looking for helicopter pilots (offshore flight) ATPL (H) Minimum 3000 hours total, 1000 PIC, night, IFR, offshore experience. AS 365 N, N2, N3 SK 76 C+ AW139 EC 135
Send CV to [email protected]

VFRIFR
3rd Feb 2012, 06:43
So how do they rate compared to Caverton, Bristow, etc., with regards to pay and treatment of pilots?

global123
6th May 2013, 19:39
I have an opportunity with Aero contractors.As it is in initial stage I wanted to know more about the company.Iam from Engineering side.I wanted to know about the following

1.Work environment and infrastructure
2.Future of the company
3.Security of the expats
4.The salary (appx) and the accomodation
5.Job security
6.Is it a good idea to leave middle east and come to Nigeria.

I would be grateful if someone can answer my queries.This is very important phase of my life and this decision is very important to me.Please answer.Thanks in advance

Regards
Global123;)

gulliBell
7th May 2013, 10:19
6.Is it a good idea to leave middle east and come to Nigeria.

Having worked in Nigeria and ME, if I had the option of either today, I would choose the latter without a 2nd thought. But I do know guys who have worked in Nigeria for many years and they are sufficiently happy to remain there rather than venture to the ME.

GoodGrief
7th May 2013, 11:23
At least in the ME it's a dry heat.
But its a dry heat - YouTube

global123
8th May 2013, 05:04
In Nigeria I will be on 6 : 6.And ofcourse the money.I will have chance to be with my family for atleast 6 weeks.Iam a bit worried about the security.Thats the reason Iam asking about the security provided by Aero Contractors.I heard that there is lot of corruption.Even when you land at the airport if you want your luggage back you need to bribe the airport guys.I dnt know how correct im...but thisis what i heard.Please answer my queries

ericferret
8th May 2013, 09:51
Bristow has vacancies in Nigeria and CHC has been recruiting but they are on hold for the moment. If I was making this choice I would start with one of the above. Their terms are similar to what you describe and both are hot on staff safety.

global123
8th May 2013, 11:26
Eric..thnx for the reply.Is Nigeria that really a dangerous countrt..ot jus sn exaggeration

GoodGrief
8th May 2013, 11:35
Been here for over a year and have met only friendlies.
Fellow pilots are afraid of landing in "Fulani territory", I can't see why.
Then again, I don't look like a victim. :cool:

global123
17th May 2013, 13:33
Dear Members

I need some information regarding Aero Contractors.I have been offered a job there.Iam from the engineering side rotary

1.How many AW 139s they have and where they are positioned.And what other type of helis they have
2.How is the company..like future plans,expat ratio,infrastructure
3.How is the company accomodation.And where is the location
4.How is the security they provide
5.Do they give on time salaries
6.How is the work culture
7.I was offerer 6:6 rotation.Do you get a day off in between or you need to work continuously
8.My place of posting is Lagos.Do I need to travel to other places like Portharcourt also
9.Is it a good idea to leave middle east and come to nigeria (for more salary and 6:6 rotation)

Awaiting for your valuable comments.Iam reposting as I didnt get proper response before
Thanks in advance

Global123

MamaPut
17th May 2013, 14:48
global123

1. Aero has 2 AW139s and one is usually in Lagos but the last time it was AOG it seemd to be offline for more than 2 months, supposedly because of shortage of money to purchase spares (though that's only a rumor).
2. The company has a good infrastructure, but future plans are unknown since they cut their partnership with CHC Helicopters and become a wholly Nigerian owned company. Sadly this has meant little or no foreign investment recently and because of their links with Oceanic Bank with its financial problems (mostly caused by disgraced former CEO Cecilia Ibru whowas sentenced to eighteen months and ordered to forfeit over US$ 1 billion for fraud - though rumour has it that she only paid US$375 million of the money she stole). Cecilia's son Obaro Ibru, who is often reported in the Nigerian press to be a 'playboy' is presently acting Managing Director of Aero.
3. Lagos accommodation is reasonable and on the GRA, with a swimming pool and bar. Port Harcourt accommodation is okay, but with more limited sporting facilities.
4. Security is okay, but not as good as some other operators.
5. A couple of friends who work for them tell me that salaries have sometimes been a bit late since the split with CHC.
6. Don't know since the take over, but the Chief Engineer is a good guy.
7. Nigerian law says that you must have one day a week off.
8. I guess you could work in either, but neither is really a problem as long as you don't want to go out and about at night if you go to Port Harcourt.
9. That, as they say, is the million dollar question, to which only you have the answer. Some people prefer the Middle East to Africa, others prefer Africa. I've always liked Africa more, but Nigeria's not for everybody.

global123
17th May 2013, 20:18
Mamaput

Thanks for the reply.Most of my doubts are clarified.At present how many contracts they have.The total number of helicopters they have..?The two 139s fly for whom??..How is the job security in this company..Will it be able to survive or will have the fate of air nigeria..Please reply..Thnx

Adroight
18th May 2013, 10:41
Global. If you have so many concerns about Nigeria (and they are justified) then unless you are in a position to leave your present job, go to Nigeria, discover that for many people it is hell on earth and then get a job somewhere else, I would suggest that it is not for you.

global123
18th May 2013, 12:34
Adroight
I have zero knowledge about Nigeria and about Aero.I had to know about them to take a descion.You didnot gave any advice to my question.And simply discouraging me.Its really bad.How can I join some company of which I dont have any knowledge If you cannot reply to my question keep quiet.Please dont try to discourage some one who us very serious about his career.

Phone Wind
18th May 2013, 13:00
global,

There's no doubt that Nigeria's not the safest place to work, Aero only has 1 AW139 actually on contract (for Total) and as far as I'm aware they have no other major oil contracts for now. However, I don't think Aero will go down the tubes and even if they did there are 3 other operators here you could probably move to.

Aero has a good infrastructure because they have hangars and workshop facilities in Lagos, Warri (where they own the old airstrip and have hangars, something no other operator has) and Port Harcourt. I've also heard they have paid salaries late occasionally lately, but with that great infrastructure they have they should eventually pull through and even with all their financial problems, must be very tempting as a partner to the likes of PHI, NHV and Era if they want to expand into this part of the world.

I've worked in the Middle East, Africa, Europe and America and still much prefer here to the Middle East. Nigerians admittedly can be a bit volatile, but they're also funny, friendly and welcoming. You won't see much of the country because of the security problems, but it's always warm and the money's ok, so I'd give it a go. If it doesn't work out for you there are plenty of other opportunities both in Nigeria and other countries for 139 engineers

Adroight
18th May 2013, 13:46
I was giving advice. When in doubt - there is no doubt. Good luck.

griffothefog
18th May 2013, 17:11
I have worked exstensively in the ME for the last 12 years, but have been in Warri for the last year. I know its not Aero, but CH have all the same issues. You don't see Nigeria!! Security dictates you go from airport to airport to secure compound period.
The flying in the swamps is fun, although youthfull exuberance is discouraged by the dreaded FDM in the cockpit.
You might as well be on Mars....:{

$ sign under my cap and 6 months work a year reminds me of why I put up with it...

global123
18th May 2013, 18:54
Dear phone wind and griffothefog

Really thanks for your valuable suggestions.They really help me know the actual conditions there.All your suggestions will be very helpful to me in taking the descion.Thankyou very much.Please give me appropriate suggestions if any.

Regards
global123

DoubleAIm
4th Nov 2013, 19:47
Can we get some updates on the current company as of today? Aircrafts, salaries, living conditions, etc. Didnt want to start a new thread.