PDA

View Full Version : MEP Self fly hire

Spam-can
30th Jan 2012, 10:56
Hi all, first post here so please be nice!
I am looking for a light twin to self fly hire, preferably in the London area but I will happily travel. I have looked at a number of clubs\schools but it seems the ones that have twins use them for CPL\IR training and they are not available for self fly hire. I would also like to be able to take the aircraft and land away for a day\weekend which again understandably most clubs aren’t happy with without a certain number of flying hours. Unfortunately buying a share isn’t financially possible for me and I wouldn’t be doing enough hours to make part ownership a viable option anyway.
The aircraft needs to be full IFR and ideally have de-icing capabilities. If anyone knows or owns of something that fits the bill then I would be grateful if you could help out.
Thanks in advance guys!

felixflyer
30th Jan 2012, 20:43
How about these?

SueAir (http://www.sueair.co.uk/)

Home - Avbase Flight Group (http://www.avbase.co.uk/)

Pilot DAR
30th Jan 2012, 21:34
Just to clarify (and not 'cause I'm trying to be "un-nice"), doesn't one "Hire" a person, and "Rent" an object? I know that you'e not supposed to "rent" people!

Sorry, I don't have help for aircraft rental in the UK, I can help in Canada though...

PilotUnknown
30th Jan 2012, 22:11
You often 'hire a car' you go to a 'car hire company' for that.

Spam-can
30th Jan 2012, 23:15
self fly rent - Google Search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=self+fly+rent&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari)

Not that it's the ultimatum on everything wrong or right but googling self fly rent seems to give self fly hire on every result on the first page so maybe it's a uk thing to say hire?

Looked at sue air although £330 an hour seemed a tad pricey for what's effectively a 140kt 3 seat machine. It's also got no a-ice but that's not a deal breaker. I am off to av base on Saturday although I understand the Aztec is tech at present.

Any experiences with av base at all? They seem pretty good price wise and have some decent aircraft on paper.

Thanks

Pilot DAR
31st Jan 2012, 00:55
But when you "hire a car", you're really hiring the driver, who drives the car, with you in it, like a limosene....

Pilot DAR
31st Jan 2012, 02:36
Okay, sorry for the thread drift, I'll put my dictionary away....

Morrisman1
31st Jan 2012, 05:18
A low hour pilot wanting to go solo in a MEP in icing conditions sounds like trouble to me.

mmgreve
31st Jan 2012, 07:04
Unfortunately buying a share isn’t financially possible for me

Really? I keep being surprised at the money they go for and it seems to me that the cost of flying a twin mostly comes down to fuel and maintenance, which you'll be paying anyway when renting.

Anyway, as mentioned, talk to Nick at AvBase.
Home - Avbase Flight Group (http://www.avbase.co.uk/#/piper-pa-23-aztec/4546866232)

BillieBob
31st Jan 2012, 09:01
A low hour pilot Exactly how many hours has the OP got, then? Any pilot, irrespective of hours, who makes wild assumptions based on inadequate knowledge sounds like trouble to me!

Spam-can
31st Jan 2012, 09:55
I also didn't say I wanted to go flying in icing conditions specifically. Most light twins wouldn't be particularly great at that anyway. If flying IFR i'd sooner have the a-ice as a safety net, especially at this time of year. It's surely only designed to hold over whilst you get out of icing conditions anyway. Plenty of people seem happy to fly through a layer of potential icing in a high performance single, as I said it's not a deal breaker just preferable.

Thanks for the help guys, as mentioned off to seen Nick on Saturday

Spam-can
31st Jan 2012, 10:07
Sue Air - £330 an hour seems expensive for a 4 seater (just) which costs less on fuel than a 172 and only cruises at 140kts.

Also I think the Aztec at AV Base is tech at the moment but they seem to have some decent stuff down there either way.

mmgreve
31st Jan 2012, 12:02
Sue Air - £330 an hour seems expensive for a 4 seater (just) which costs less on fuel than a 172 and only cruises at 140kts.

And if you look at the alternative pricing options, you see exactly how expensive. Without knowing anything about the operating costs, I doubt they will rent it out at a loss, even if you pay 200 a month towards fixed cost.

Spam-can
31st Jan 2012, 12:55
I suppose you do only get charged for flight time at least. However at £150 a month it is still £200 an hour. The aztec would be £225 for a more capable aircraft, and with access to other aircraft in the fleet.