PDA

View Full Version : Barnbougle

busconductor
30th Jan 2012, 03:52
I flew into Barnbougle last week, and the last info I had was that it had an 800m grass strip. With Chieftains there, it was obvious they'd lengthened the runway. Anyone know how long it is now and how good is the extension?? Looked a bit sandy and soft but presumably is gravel??

tail wheel
30th Jan 2012, 04:13
Is that Bridport?

Bridport is situated in the North East of Tasmania on Anderson Bay and is strategically placed to service the Islands of the Furneaux group. Our strip is aligned 10/28 and is a gravel strip of 1,000 metres in length. Right hand circuits are required when using runway 28.

Further details here (http://www.flindersislandaviation.com/airstrips.htm).

This reference:

As we approach Barnbougle we will do a scenic circuit over to provide you with an aerial view of both courses before landing at the Barnbougle Airstrip just 500 m from the first tee.

Tends to indicate there is an airstrip at the golf course?

Jack Ranga
30th Jan 2012, 04:16
Nah, Barnbougle is actually on the golf course isn't it?

VH-XXX
30th Jan 2012, 04:55
I saw a couple of Cheyenne's fly out of there at least 5 years ago so it must be half decent.

busconductor
30th Jan 2012, 05:17
There are three strips at Bridport in close proximity. This is the golf course strip which in the Tasmanain Aero Club Ops Manual dated 4/09 was shown as 800m grass. There is now an extension and its that extra bit I'm not sure about.

cficare
30th Jan 2012, 10:30
it definately services the golf courses....i've seen up to 7 twins parked there on weekends...nice strip...watchout for the turbulence on short final when the seabreeze blows over the sand dunes!!

717tech
30th Jan 2012, 10:53
We fly a Titan into the golf course strip every now and then. I know of a Kingair that does the run too.

Just keep an eye on the rain fall in the area.. you will get bogged!

machadotaughtme
30th Jan 2012, 10:55
Ausjet had a little problem with that gravel a few months back... Thank god they had passengers on board to help push out their Titan!!

Fandangled
31st Jan 2012, 09:46
Barnbougle Dunes airstrip (right on the side of the golf course) is now 1000m with the new gravel addition to the western end. As previously mentioned though it would be easy to get bogged after any substantial rain especially in the new section. It is kept in very good condition and mowed as often as the golf course!

717tech
1st Feb 2012, 07:47
Bridport (about 1nm south of the golf course strip) is a good alternate. It's gravel that can handle a bit of rain. But not a lot of parking and a rather narrow taxy way to the hard stand.

Flying Ted
24th Dec 2017, 06:08
Hi Guys,

The last post here is 5 years old. Does anyone have any recent information on the strip condition?

I've flown into both the original strip at Barnbougle and newer, longer one at Lost Farm. It's the later one I'm keen to get information on.

Desert Flower
24th Dec 2017, 11:53
Wasn't there a Conquest that came to grief there a while back?

DF.

Flying Ted
24th Dec 2017, 18:25
Certainly was and there is separate thread on that topic.

Horatio Leafblower
24th Dec 2017, 21:56
The Barnbougle Dunes strip (beautiful turf strip that puts my lawn to shame) is no longer used.

The Lost Farm strip is the dirt/gravel strip now in use.
I flew in there about 20 Nov in a Conquest - it's plenty long (1400m+?) and so long as you stick to the middle you'll probably be good.

The Sharps Conquest - I am told - turned very wide and came to grief off the fairway.

PLovett
25th Dec 2017, 07:10
The Barnbougle Dunes strip (beautiful turf strip that puts my lawn to shame) is no longer used.

The Lost Farm strip is the dirt/gravel strip now in use.
I flew in there about 20 Nov in a Conquest - it's plenty long (1400m+?) and so long as you stick to the middle you'll probably be good.

The Sharps Conquest - I am told - turned very wide and came to grief off the fairway.

So it went into the rough then? Certainly a penalty for a drop shot then.

Horatio Leafblower
25th Dec 2017, 22:25
So it went into the rough then? Certainly a penalty for a drop shot then.
2 engines and 2 props is a pretty big penalty :hmm:

Flying Ted
3rd Oct 2018, 22:35
has anyone used lost farm recently? What’s its condition like? Have they done any work on it?

Chozza14
17th Oct 2018, 23:51
Strip is good as long as there hasn't been too much rain. Be careful of the soft edges... Strip gets looked after every now and then and is used almost every day by Chieftans and 441's currently.

Squawk7700
18th Oct 2018, 02:36
With Bridport barely a mile away you’d hardly bother flying in there if it was anything less than perfect.

PS there are weather cameras at Barnbougle available on their website and Avplan.