PDA

View Full Version : Fatality near San Diego California

Sensible
9th Nov 2001, 20:48
The FAA accident investigation into the accident involving the Cessna 152 and the loss of life of an instructor and student near San Diego California has now concluded. There was a degree of interest from students at the time.

The salutary warning here is:- Watch thine airspeed lest the ground rise and smite thee!

Here is the report:
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X22184&key=1

Click on "Full narrative available" to view details.

GPS Approach
9th Nov 2001, 21:46
Sensible,

2 of my friends perished in this accident, it has just been the anniversary of their death. I don't appreciate you words of advice on the subject, nor do I find them particularly funny. :mad:

QUERY
9th Nov 2001, 23:23
Any joke or attempted humour is always prone to upset someone, especially if the victims were known to them- highly probable here.

What was Sensible's motive for bringing this accident to our attention?

Even if the motive was worthy, why make any comment? A documented accident isn't a rumour and anyone interested may read the expert evidence and conclusion, which could not be enhanced by comments from someone who is less expert and poses as 'incorrect'.

:confused:

WAIF-er
10th Nov 2001, 03:50
GPS & Query,

As a fellow student at the school concerned, who shared an appartment with one of the deceased, I was interested to hear that the report has been published.

Quoting sensible: "There was a degree of interest from students at the time."

sensible was right to post the information. I do not see how sensible's "comment" is supposed to be funny or offensive to anybody and I disagree with both above for your immature reaction.

Aviation history is full of accidents. The purpose of an accident report is to establish what went wrong, be it pilot error, mechanical/electrical fault, weather, atc, etc etc.

The whole point of a report being published is to alert the aviation community of such accidents and then for the community to act or not to act in response, in order to prevent future accidents from occurring.

In short, we can all learn something from accident reports. They are not there to make a spectacle of a pilot if he/she is at fault and no-one would ever suggest they were for that purpose.

sensible has summed up in one sentence.

This forum is the "Professional" pilots rumour network, so lets all behave in that way.

Iain
10th Nov 2001, 04:12
I find this topic highly inappropriate, many of us here have lost friends in aviation accidents, and I personally found this one to lack no real message, and the sarcastic undertone was totally uncalled for, and insensitive to not only the deceased but also to the friends and family of the people involved.
2 days after this accident I lost an ex-coworker and a friend in the same area. Receiving a phone call from you boss telling you 2 of your friends have died in a plane crash is one of the most unexpected, and sad things that happen to aviators.

WAIF-er
10th Nov 2001, 04:33
Iain,

I totally understand your feelings towards this posting and I see where you are coming from. I really do.

The one reason why I might object to your reaction is that this forum is here to inform everybody and if people cannot make postings because it may offend somebody else, then pprune might as well not exist.

I think there is also a tendancy for us to read into comments too much, almost looking for any controversial meanings or expressions.

Unfortunately, the written word represents only a small percentage of total communication, lacking any tone, body language, expression etc. therefore it is easy to misunderstand words on your computer screen.

QUERY
10th Nov 2001, 06:07
After dismissing us as immature, what a change of tune !
Shouldn't you be re-named WAIVER or QUAVER?

WAIF-er
10th Nov 2001, 16:33
No Query,

I just have an open mind and listen to other people's points of view. Whats wrong with that?

Iain
10th Nov 2001, 16:46
I agree with what you previously said about learning from accident investigations, however when discussing it a certain amount of tact which was not demonstrated on the original post.