PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading NPPL to PPL, what can I credit?

6UP
27th Jan 2012, 18:14
Hi All,

Trying to find out some infomation on converting my NPPL (SSEA) to a full JAR PPL.

If I were to ever go down this route it would be with the view of gaining a CPL and ATPL so I'm not too worried about the advantages of having a PPL over a NPPL and out of interest, the NPPL more than serves it's purpose for the flying I do at the moment.

I came into powered flying from gliding, gaining my silver C and doing the minimum 10 hours plus exams etc for my NPPL (SLMG) however I'm not sure wherether the instructor was JAR or BGA.

I then did a 5 hour SSEA tailwheel conversion with a JAA instructor and added this to my licence.

I have also completed 3 hour trail lessons (all JAA on group A), one in 2002 on in 2008 and one in 2011 (only the last one is entered in my log book by the instructor)

I own a share in a LAA Group A aircraft and am slowly building up hours in this (not hour building as such but flying for personal pleasuire, but gaining flight time in the process)

I have looked at LASORS C6.2 and it seems to state that the minimun I would need to do (assuming I could reach the requied standard in this time) would be 20 hours dual with a JAA instructor and 10 hours supervised solo including QXC and passing a skill test. I would need 45 total of which 35 must be in a SEP (I dont have this yet but invisidge having it by the end of summer).

I also have a touch under 70 hours gliding.

So where does all this leave me if I wanted to get any dual instruction in over the summer and take the skills test around autumn time?

How much dual would I need (legally, taking into acount what I already have)?

What of my previous experience can I use and what can I not?

And last but not least where will the current goings on with EASA leave me timewise?

And would it be possible to pay an instructor to supervise me but do the 10 hours solo in my group aircraft?

Many Thanks in advance 6up

Whopity
27th Jan 2012, 19:23
You have the requirements correct but the solo does not have to be "supervised" that would only be necessary if you didn't have a licence. You need 10 hours solo time on a SEP including the Navigation specified10 hours solo flight time on SEP aeroplanes
which must include 5 hours solo cross country
flight time including one cross country flight of
at least 270km (150nm), during which full stop
landings at two different aerodromes different
from the aerodrome of departure shall be
made as per JAR-FCL 1.125.You probably have enough to cover this requirement except maybe the 150nm X Ctry. If you do that don't forget to get the Certificate SRG2105 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG2105FF.pdf) signed.

Of the 20 hours you need with a JAA instructor, you say you have 8 already so you just need 12 more hours dual training.

The CAA will issue EASA licences from 1 July 2012, no JAA licences will be issued after 30 June 2012.

All looks fairly straightforward

6UP
27th Jan 2012, 20:56
SO would the 2 hours not actually logged in my log book (i do still have the certificates to say I had done them) be able to be used as credit?

So potentially I would only need to do 12 hours dual and a QXC + Skills test at the end of it?

Better than I had thought, though quite frustrating as thats quite a bit of money spent allowing me to fly, for the most part, the same aircraft that I can already fly.

Cheers Whoopity

Mickey Kaye
28th Jan 2012, 07:45
6UP

If you have to do a supervised QXC (Need a signed SRG2105) and you are thinking of going commercial it might not be a bad idea to do a 300 mile QXC and meet one of the CPL requirements.

Two birds with one stone and all that.

BEagle
28th Jan 2012, 08:09
Although your NPPL privileges permit the carriage of passengers, the required solo 'Q X/C' must be flown truly 'solo' - i.e. on your own with no-one else in the aeroplane.

Whopity
28th Jan 2012, 09:24
SO would the 2 hours not actually logged in my log book (i do still have the certificates to say I had done them) be able to be used as credit?No, because that is in breach of the ANOPersonal flying log book
79.—(1) Every member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom and
every person who engages in flying for the purpose of qualifying for the grant or renewal of a
licence under this Order must keep a personal flying log book in which the following information
must be recorded—
(2) Detailed information about each flight during which the holder of the log book acted either as a
member of the flight crew of an aircraft or for the purpose of qualifying for the grant or renewal of a
licence under this Order must be recorded in the log book as soon as reasonably practicable after the
end of each flight.
Put it into the log book and get it endorsed and all should be OK

xrayalpha
28th Jan 2012, 17:25
Can a sheet of paper - ie a trial flight certificate with time of take-off and landing, location and instructor's signature - not be a "log book".

As far as I was aware, there is no definition of a log book!

6UP
28th Jan 2012, 20:22
Mickey Kaye, thanks, thats a good point that I hadnt clocked,

Beagle, cheers, thats no problem, I have only have room for one anyway!

Thank all, I have certainly got plenty to dwell on, If anyone else has any other thoughts comments I'm all ears

6up

Whopity
28th Jan 2012, 20:50
You are right there is no set format for a log book however; I have yet to see a Trial Flight Certificate that contains all of the information required by the ANO. The hours are claimable, so its just a case of including them in a manner that will be acceptable.

6UP
28th Jan 2012, 21:01
Thanks Whopity, If I were to enter the trial flights into my logbook presumably I would need to have them signed by the original instructor?