PDA

View Full Version : Literature for a revalidation

Ian_Wannabe
27th Jan 2012, 15:10
Hello all - I'm currently coming to the end of a very dry financial era of my life which has meant I haven't been able to fly PIC since Feb 2008. Having fitted my little green visor hat and crunched some numbers it seems that from June this year I can finally afford to go flying atleast one hour a month again - Horray!

My question is this:

I work within aviation, both GA and commercial together with being able to go flying as a pair of eyes for a local photography company. So for this reason my head hasn't really been out of the game as much as it could have been, but... helping people who are going flying isn't the same as doing it yourself.

Apart from reading the PPL training manuals from cover to cover again does anyone have any tips which will initiate the gray matter into ensuring I pass my revalidation exam?

I'm also aware that the old style FIS has changed to basic,traffic and so on. Is there anything that I should be aware of?

Thanks guys

Whopity
27th Jan 2012, 15:58
As the "Revalidation exam" is a flight test then you should be familiar with what you are expected to demonstrate. You can download the Examiners Schedule (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1157.pdf) and then make sure that you are familiar with the exercises involved rather than reading all the books. You will have to do some navigation at the examiners discretion so be prepared for that, it may not be very formal but he will want to see you are competent and you have an up to date map. Be familiar with the check list and know how to complete the weight and balance and take off calculations. Most of it will be practical so there really isn't too much else you can study in the way of literature. Are you happy you can master the test without a practice, most instructors will be happy to take you through the test profile.

Ian_Wannabe
27th Jan 2012, 16:01
Very helpful link, thank you.

I'd say I'm happy with the practical flying side of things as the photography flying is pretty much all steep turns at low speed with a mixture of flap and non-flap.

My main concern is navigation to be honest.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jan 2012, 16:06
The phrase you're looking for is "proficiency check", since you are less than 5 years out of recency.

But in reality, you will be doing a skill test in all but name. It would be wise to spend an hour or three with an instructor to de-rust you before getting in with an examiner.

I'd suggest picking the school you'll revalidate with, do a first flight with an instructor, then have a long and robust debrief to agree between you what you need in terms of all learning.

G

Ian_Wannabe
27th Jan 2012, 16:12
That's right, I wasn't 100% but as I've done P1 within the 5 I did think I didn't have to do an "official" skills test. Am I right in thinking should it go past the five years I'll have to?

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jan 2012, 16:32
That's correct, although the genuine difference between the two tests is largely paperwork. An examiner (or the link Whopity posted above) should show you the differences - mostly I think rather reduced nav content on a proficiency check.

G

Ian_Wannabe
27th Jan 2012, 17:19
Okay - Brilliant help, thanks everyone.

L'aviateur
27th Jan 2012, 18:03
Out of curiosity, if you fail to revalidate by experience in time (i.e out of the country and not near a JAA Examiner) and do the revalidation by proficiency check, are you able to exercise all of the privilages of the license again immediately after a successful check?

Whopity
27th Jan 2012, 19:32
The phrase you're looking for is "proficiency check", since you are less than 5 years out of recency.Not in accordance with JAR-FCL. Rating renewal requires a Skill Test. JAR-FCL 1.245(2) If a single-pilot single-engine class
rating has expired, the applicant shall
complete the skill test in Appendices 1 and 3
to JAR–FCL 1.240.After 8 April 2012 it will indeed be a Proficiency Check as the EASA definition differs from the JAA definition. FCL010‘Proficiency check’ means the demonstration of skill to revalidate or renew ratings, and including such oral examination as may be required.
and do the revalidation by proficiency check, are you able to exercise all of the privilages of the license again immediately after a successful check?Yes but as stated above its is a Renewal if it has expired and a Skill Test however; the content is the same and the examiner signs the rating page. Under EASA you will have to got to an ATO for renewal as well.

Ian_Wannabe
28th Jan 2012, 19:34
Forgive my lack of knowledge Whopity, but ATO.... what does it stand for?

Angel_1_five
28th Jan 2012, 21:43
Hello i think it is approved training organisation. i have a question , my ppl has lapsed by 20 years and in lasors i would have to do what ever flying is required to pass a skill test and Pass an oral theoretical knowledge exam.
Going by easa this looks like it might change

http://easa.europa.eu/agency-measures/docs/agency-decisions/2011/2011-016-R/AMC%20and%20GM%20to%20Part-FCL.pdf

page 247

expiry longer than 3 years: the applicant should again undergo the training required for the initial issue of the rating or, in case of helicopter, the training required for the ‘additional type issue’, according to other valid ratings held.

Does that mean you have to do the whole course again ?
Thank you
Tony

MrAverage
30th Jan 2012, 10:27
Whopity

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I understood the LST differed from the LPC in that a short visual nav leg was required with a simple diversion?

ifitaintboeing
30th Jan 2012, 17:37
MrAverage,

The answer to your question is in Standards Document 14.

ifitaint...

BillieBob
31st Jan 2012, 09:22
Angel_1_five - If your licence has expired by 20 years then one assumes that it is a UK national one and not JAA. If this is the case then nothing in Part-FCL is relevant as the new Regulations apply only to EASA licences and ratings (JAA licences and ratings will be deemed to be EASA ones after 8 April this year).

If the licence is a 'lifelime' one, issued after 10 Nov 1975, then all that is required is to revalidate the SEP class rating, which involves a Skill Test including an oral theoretical knowledge test by the examiner (this is theoretical knowledge related only to the class rating). If the licence was issued before 10 Nov 1975 it cannot be renewed and you will have to obtain a JAA licence, which will mean passing all of the JAA theoretical knowledge examinations.

In all cases, you will also need a valid Class 1 or 2 medical certificate.

Angel_1_five
31st Jan 2012, 17:02
Thank you BillieBob.
Yes my licence is valid for life issued in 1987 , that sounds good so i do not have to rush by april this year !
Best to get a medical first i think ,

Thanks Again
Tony