PDA

View Full Version : Working for Bristow as an engineer.... any input?

Wrenchturner
26th Jan 2012, 09:20
hello everyone, been thinking of working for bristow as an engineer, does anyone want to share their stories about what they think? i think it is a good company, havent really heard to many bad things. is it similar to chc? how is the pay? annual raises? how does the pay scale work, is it scaled depending on how many years you have your license? is it stable or do they hire and lay off routinely like chc? fair treatment? what about nigeria,is it much different than the rest of africa? how about benefits? training? what about training on different types? do you get to move around different bases if you want? are they going through good times or bad times these days?

RotaryWingB2
26th Jan 2012, 11:24
Try 400hz over on the airmech site, he used to/does work for Bristows.

stacey_s
26th Jan 2012, 15:40
Did it for 23 years man and boy, mind you that was 77 to 2000, good company then, don't know now though, lots of worse places to go in this crazy world of ours!!

S

Epiphany
26th Jan 2012, 15:57
There are lots of different Bristow's - you'll have to be more specific.

mtoroshanga
27th Jan 2012, 08:35
Worked for them from 1969 until 2006 on many operations. They were the best until the Airlog period started then became very ordinary. In the days of Allan Bristow were world leaders.

demon_duck
27th Jan 2012, 14:01
mtoroshanga

Agreed!

AS332L1
27th Jan 2012, 19:54
Have worked for Mr Bristow for 16 years he was a great boss but now as with CHC whom I now work for now it's not the same they are both now owned by bean counters who have no respect for aviation just want to make money!

SASless
27th Jan 2012, 21:49
.......been thinking of working for bristow as an engineer......

You show up with an attitude like that and you shall certainly upset the tea cart my friend! The usual attitude amongst the Engineers was just the opposite....doing their dead level best to avoid work.

Stacey is a case in point.....He was once described as being an excellent worker....when cornered!

Give him an opportunity...defined as buying the beer...and he will drift off onto some tale of the old days....when he did a roof top chore on a 212 after the Chief Pilot removed the Wind Sock and Pole....and think you saw that as being an accomplishment. I mean after all...they did have a Bell built field crane and lots of sunshine....a parts bin in his tool box....and lots of help (means the Chief Pilot stayed away....).

How many "Bristow's" have there been? I count it as one....run by the Old Man himself....and all the rest are poor imitations!

Wrenchturner
28th Jan 2012, 05:45
thanks for the comments, much appreciated, have been to check the other site, some interesting comments there.... i also found a guy working on the airport where i am who used to work there, i kinda get the feeling that maybe the good times are over and it is very different, similar to how chc has changed since dobbin passed away. kinda disappointed that most comments about the company and nigeria in particular are very similar and negative, except for the comment "that it was really good place to work before", so i guess nigeria maybe is not the best idea at the moment...... so where do you go if you want to work for a good company, for good pay, with good people in a warm place? does it exist anymore or just a dream?

Tony Mabelis
28th Jan 2012, 08:25
I worked for the real Bristow Helicopters from 1967 until 1979.
In the 60's it was THE helicopter company to work for, great fun for a young guy overseas, but as do all jobs, it started its terminal decline in the late '70s, and I baled out.
I didnt look back, but having had the excellent grounding in Bristows, I was set up for the rest of my career, for which I am thankful.
Tony

TukTuk BoomBoom
28th Jan 2012, 23:02
Firstly if its Nigeria find out which base youd be sent to, then ask about conditions at that base.
The trouble with asking a general question about working at Bristow is youre bound to get some diddle head pilot telling you about how times have changed. Id say ignore answers from pilots full-stop as they mostly have no idea about engineer conditions but are full of opinons ( like all Bristow engineers are lazy, apparently).
Since AirLog bought them out theres a bit of "good-ole-daze" from alot of the long time british guys but id say the introduction of mechanics from the GOM been a pretty positive influence on the engineering side.

CYHeli
29th Jan 2012, 04:24
They have some good bases in various parts of Australia, most of them are warm and the usual gear to work on.

SASless
29th Jan 2012, 12:23
Id say ignore answers from pilots full-stop as they mostly have no idea about engineer conditions but are full of opinons ( like all Bristow engineers are lazy, apparently).

Yes Tuk....despite sharing the accommodation, bar, tea room, work bus, and work day....Pilot's know nothing of the conditions the Engineers experience.

It is amazing how insular life is at an operating base in Nigeria....where you might see an Engineer at a distance from the Golf Course! Why Heavens....it just wouldn't do to allow the working class into the Mess now would it?:rolleyes:

TukTuk BoomBoom
29th Jan 2012, 14:45
Yeah well i just PM'd the guy to answer some of his questions as i figured SasLess was just going to hijack the thread again. Loser.
(What happened to you Sasless, you used to have the occasional words of wisdom, now its mostly this sort of negative crap.)

If anyone else wants info on working for Bristow currently feel free to PM me.

parabellum
29th Jan 2012, 20:57
Well in my short time with Bristow, (sixties), if, as a pilot, you were not working and an engine change, for example, was required, you could expect to be out there helping! (strictly in a labouring capacity, of course!). We lived an identical life style, same accommodation, same leave patterns and of course we knew what shifts they worked, as they, the engineers, would know our average flying hours etc. There was no divide.

The trouble with asking a general question about working at Bristow is youre bound to get some diddle head pilot

You did rather invite SASless's sarcasm Tuk Tuk!:)

Wrenchturner
5th Feb 2012, 11:30
so thanks for the posts guys, i dont think bristow and nigeria sound to bad.... just want to ask about malaria, is it a problem for engineers working there? do you need to take the pills? if you just stay on the base and accomodations is it a worry? also what machines do they have over there? i know s76, s92, and bell 412/212 any 139s?
lastly how is the company doing, i read that they have lots of money and are looking to buy possibly era or another company so it sounds like they are doing well, are jobs with them pretty stable and secure? i am hoping for a longterm job with them and hope that i have found it.thanks for all the info guys
cheers

SASless
5th Feb 2012, 12:10
Read up on the various medicines....both preventive and therapeutic....and you will find there is no guarantee you will not contract Malaria. The Mozzies carry Malaria, expose yourself to them and you are exposed to Malaria. It seems about like the Lottery....some guys contracted Malaria and others did not. Some used Pills...most did not except as a Theraputic cure rather than as preventive measures.

There have been a couple of fatalities from Cerebral Malaria....so it is an important issue to consider but not one that should prevent you from working in Nigeria. Gulder probably presents a much worse danger of bodily harm.

The Plumber
13th Feb 2012, 12:40
Before this thread gets too screwed up with strange postings, just understand that Bristow is by far the best helicopter company for engineers, other than some of the exotic far east operations. Interesting work, great guys and a somewhat paternal company. When Airlog came along things did change, i.e. a more top heavy management, less understanding of what helicopters are all about and a cost focussed approach to business. UK based helicopter engineers are the best in the world at doing their job and Bristow knows it. Easa, with Health and Safety are making life difficult but at the end of the day the individual skills win through. I enjoyed 35 years with Bristow, on and off and have no regrets so go for it. :ok: