PDA

View Full Version : LIFE POLICY COVER

Pete O'Head
25th Jan 2012, 16:11
Hi everyone .. I have a question.
Can anyone suggest a ( UK based) life insurance policy company and / or injury & sickness insurance policy which covers people if they become hurt while involved in recreational flying ?

Insurers tend to accept commercial flying OK but struggle with recreational.

Cheers all

Pete O H .

proudprivate
25th Jan 2012, 16:28
Silly question, but why does it have to be UK based ? UK insurance companies tend to be more expensive than Continental European ones. Premiums I've seen here range from 0.25% to 0.40% p.a. for death & work disability insurance.

Brokers accept PPL's without any fuss. You need a valid PPL & Medical. Some exclusions for over water flying (except channel crossings) and the usual stuff about forecast extreme weather apply.

PM me if you want the name and contact details.

Disclaimer : I do have a conflict of interest in this matter, in that the insurance broker sponsors my flying club.

dobbin1
25th Jan 2012, 16:30
I have a term life assurance policy with a company called Bright Grey - be warned though, the premium doubled when I owned up to aerobatics.

FlyingFinancier
25th Jan 2012, 17:00
I recently bought life cover through brokers Stein Financial - they sourced a policy at a reasonable price with a major insurer at zero loading for flying, even including aerobatics and classic aircraft. Really helpful, good service. PM me if you want any details.

tacpot
25th Jan 2012, 18:19
Legal and General - their underwriting questionaire is here : http://www.legalandgeneral.com/bpcentre/Protection/ViewDocuments/Files/aviation.pdf

Timmy44
25th Jan 2012, 19:38
L&G will insure you, but have a pretty high loading for flying, and other activities such as sailing etc. Even after having a quiet word with our rep (I'm an IFA, so deal with them regularly) he was unable to do anything about my term assurance premium doubling. Another client had a similar experience, when admitting he sailed on the application.

Thank you for posting the question - reminded me I need to sort mine out. :mad:

peterh337
25th Jan 2012, 20:10
FWIW worth a mention that an existing insurance policy continues to be valid irrespective of your change of lifestyle (AFAIK always; stand to be corrected).

fwjc
25th Jan 2012, 20:52
Ditto Stein Financial. He was really helpful, making sure all the options available to me were clear so I could make my choice. For a standard recreational flyer, it's no problem at all.

rats404
26th Jan 2012, 06:19
I'd recommend Russ Stein at Stein financial too. Really nice bloke who flies himself.

Cusco
26th Jan 2012, 07:45
Traffords.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Jan 2012, 09:26
I have a good policy with CIS (Co-Operative Insurance Services), they are refreshingly old fashioned - send a rep to your home with his brochures and laptop, go through all the options - and find the policy that suits your particular wants and needs.

I think that you could do far worse than give them a call.

G