PDA

View Full Version : LHR-LAX-LHR

Gibair
25th Jan 2012, 14:41
I have just booked a holiday and am travelling to LAX on BA0279 which is a 747; the return leg on BA0278 is listed as being a 777

Any clues why there is a different aircraft type on the return leg?

0279 lands at 1300; 0278 departs 1540, is it as simple enough as there being not enough time to turn around a 747?

Thanks

PAXboy
25th Jan 2012, 15:18
(not in the business but) Capacity: The carrier knows what the demand for seats is. It knows how many Y and C and F pax want to travel at what time of day and day of the week. Some a/c have more Biz seating for overnight flights and they might use the slightly smaller machine for other rotations.

That rotation might have a 777 for five days a week and a 744 on the other two. Further, although not so often, if they have a big demand/promotion in one area, they might use larger machines for that and swap over for a few weeks. The example this year will be the Olympics.

EmadIV
27th Jan 2012, 21:17
Agreeing with PAXboy. It mainly depends on demand. I once flew a route that was taken by the 777-200ER, and in just two months, the aircraft was an A321-211.
On another point, I don't see why you're complaining. The 777 is much quieter than the 747 and probably has superior entertainment. Just a guess based on experience regarding the entertainment, but the 777 is quieter especially if you're flying economy (behind the wing).

TSR2
27th Jan 2012, 21:42
On the dates I have checked in June, BA279 is a B777.

PAXboy
27th Jan 2012, 21:58
Short haul has the same thing, I've known 73-4 and 76-2 on the same day at different times.

EmadIV
27th Jan 2012, 23:22
The 'bad part' to the passenger is that he may end up in an aircraft other than the one he opted for...

PAXboy
28th Jan 2012, 00:27
Indeed and the window seat you carefully selected will have vanished and you might get an inner aisle or a window seat at the place where there is a structural rib and no actual window. "Very sorry for any inconvenience caused sir - operational reasons"

spoilers yellow
28th Jan 2012, 12:15
From the start of the summer schedule (around 26th march) the early of BAs three daily LAX flights becomes a 777 so if you are traveling either side of this date you will be 744 outbound 777 home.

A lot of BA schedules alternate aircraft type between seasons eg the SIN/SYD is back to the 744 at the same time.

jabird
28th Jan 2012, 21:50
Would fuel burn not be upto 10% or so lower on a B777 - this being one of the longer US routes, that would favour it more than it might, say on a JFK rotation.

If capacity is needed, I'd expect the 744 to be deployed.

spoilers yellow
31st Jan 2012, 13:47
There is a lot more to it than simply ful burn and capacity. I think the accountants would love to have a mix of 777 deployed across the network......but BA don't have enough of them for that. Some 777 don't have first class, some don't have crew rest facilities etc etc. all of that that has to be factored in as well as seating capacity, cargo capacity etc.
Then they have to decide on how rotations integrate with each other eg. If an a/c flies to south Africa it will usually have to sit on the ground all day before flying a night sector back to base, something that is not desirable for the 777 fleet as much as the 744 fleet due leasing and ownership etc.

I suspect in the case of the LAX, the earlier one is usually the quieter of the three and they had to find some more 744 availability to operate othe routes and this obviously works out.

Evanelpus
31st Jan 2012, 14:14
The 'bad part' to the passenger is that he may end up in an aircraft other than the one he opted for...

I'm guessing that the majority people book the flight and not the aircraft type. I've yet to witness anyone stomping off at check in after being told "the aircraft is a 747 today, not a 777" However, I have seen some have a huge hissy fit that their pre booked seat has gone west!!:(

The main thing is you arrive at your destination safely?

Smoketrails
31st Jan 2012, 19:53
I would have a right fit if I got moved from a nice pre booked seat to a centre seat in a 3-4-3 config a/c! Rattles and prams come to mind!

PAXboy
31st Jan 2012, 20:02
I recall checking in for my much treasured Concorde flight and my window seat had been allocated to another and no chance to change as flight full. :sad:

On the other hand, it was still Concorde ... :cool:

MathFox
31st Jan 2012, 22:06
I recall losing an allocated seat due to a plane change... Biggest gripe was the 2+ hour delay! :}

jabird
1st Feb 2012, 20:59
I've yet to witness anyone stomping off at check in after being told "the aircraft is a 747 today, not a 777"

I would be very worried if, after waiting a couple of hours at the gate for 'pole position' on the hop to SAB, that my Twotter was, in fact, a 747 ;)