PDA

View Full Version : FAA Me/Ir CPl -> EASA ?

Baglers
25th Jan 2012, 10:34
Hey guys,
i am just starting to begin my flight training and now im a bit worried.
Will i be able to convert an FAA ME/IR CPL under the new EASA rules :sad:?
FAA to JAA wasn't that big of an issue in the Uk but what about the new system?
I hope they don't prohibit it because that would basicly kill the modular route for pilot training.

Greetings

mad_jock
25th Jan 2012, 11:02
You will just have to jump through all the hoops. You didn't really get much dispensation anyway.

It won't kill modular training. Folk will just carry on doing what they have been doing and getting trained up under the UK system. I don't actually know that many pilots (2) who were modular that did do the conversion route. It never made sense to me and was certainly not cheaper.

BillieBob
25th Jan 2012, 14:41
There will still be a route to convert third-country licences and ratings to the EASA equivalents, similar to that under JARs. The difference will be that a training provider will have to assess each individual's experience and ability and recommend to the Authority a suitable course of training. The existing minimum training times (e.g. 15 hours for the IR) will disappear and it is possible, though unlikely, that an ATO might actually recommend a shorter course than is currently possible.

Tinstaafl
26th Aug 2013, 17:31
It's certainly possible with the demise of the JAR 15 hour minimum. Depends on the candidate's skill when assessed. My conversion to a *UK* ATPL+IR ie pre-JAR/EASA, from an Oz & US ATPL+IR took 9.5 hours - including both flight tests for the licence & IR. The flight test was really one flight done in two halves. We never even left the aeroplane, just mentally flicked a switch after the last landing from the 1st half: "That was the IR test. From this point on we are now doing the professional licence flight test."

The benefit of a combined test was being able to count some test items towards both the licence & the IR. Getting it all over & done with in half a day wasn't bad, either!